CPU question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Morris, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    I am less than 24 hours from my flight, I am Gold. I can see there are first class seats available, but when I click on fares for the flight it shows R/RN as 0. Why is this. Also, when I checked in it asked me if I wanted to standby for an upgrade, I thought that was automatic...pre March, I would always see upgrade pending for my flight....

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something similar just happened to me on a flight I just took from LGA to ORD, except that I could see the free F seats, as well as R3/RN3. However, when I called to request the CPU, I was told that passengers who put down an upgrade instrument (GPU, RPU, miles) have priority for the available R space. My CPU did not clear, but it did not matter much as I slept from the moment I sat down in E+ to just before we landed. So, the first class seats that you are seeing are very likely being held for those who put down upgrade instruments...

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    R/RN space only describes instrument-applicable upgrade space. There is some other undisclosed bucket used for CPUs (although it doesn't hurt to use R/RN as an estimate). Actual first class space on the seat map means nothing. For all you know they could have sold all the seats but no one actually selected one, and they'll be assigned later. However, usually first class does not get oversold and certainly not to the extent of coach. You can check the F bucket to see how many F seats are really left.

Instruments do clear before CPUs, but that's still not a guarantee, and someone with higher elite status than you could have their instrument clear first.

My understanding is that things behave very differently once you enter the 24 h check-in window. You can no longer request to apply an instrument. Although existing requests will still have priority, if you haven't yet then a CPU is your only hope. Sometimes it asks if you want to be considered for an upgrade if you have another passenger on the itinerary because it will split the passengers onto separate reservations within the 24 h window. If you refuse, you stay on the same reservation but you lose the upgrade chance. It's not as those you weren't already on the list.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can if R>0. You cannot waitlist inside 24 hours but you can redeem.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this is good to know. I wish I had known this earlier as I thought the rule was just no instruments ever past 24 h. Would have helped my brother with some upgrades to India.

6. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just upgraded a friend flying to DCA tomorrow afternoon that was showing R1. You cannot do it online within 24 hours of flight, but you can call in and have them process the upgrade.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That statement is spot on. Seatmaps are misleading because they may not reflect seats that have been sold but have not yet been selected by the associated passengers.

When I called to request the CPU with R space showing R3 within 24 hr of flight, I was told that I still could try to secure an UG using a RPU or another instrument, as the system was not letting them provide the space as a CPU. So, that seems to be within rules...

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on a two-hour flight tomorrow night, on an A320. When the 96-hour window opened, the website said F9, yet my CPU didn't clear (it did on my outbound, right at 96 hours). It's at F6 now....I just know I'm going to get Jeff'd on this one.