CPU for Award Travel

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CEO, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked an award flight from DEN>ORD on Thanksgiving and United is flying a 777, meaning there are tons of Business Class seats available for upgrades (+ a few in 1st). When I view my reservation online, I can see that a CPU has been requested, however when Ilook at the flight status, I don't show up on the upgrade list. Cust Service says that this upgrade jhas to be handled at the airport, but any time I inquire about upgrades at the gate I get a general brush off. I'm generally familiar with the upgrade process for paid fares, but can can anyone provide any insights into the cryptic process for CPUs on award travel?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the proper CC or GS status to allow for access to CPUs on award travel? If not then it is a moot point.

If you do then this is basically the worst implementation of a benefit that UA has managed to come up with and that's saying a lot. You have to ask at the airport - frequently - to make sure you get put on the list correctly and hope that you clear.

Good luck!

3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    @Wandering Aramean, I have a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card and am eligible. Guess I need to get to the gate early before the agents get too busy.

5. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    Success!

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    WTF??!! It worked? I just cancelled my PPMC becuase the benefits aren't worth the cost. But I flew loads of award itins prior to that and not once was there ever an UG or even a suggestion of it. I didn't bother checking, it saved me tons of angst. I suppose I could get the lower tier Explorer card if it "works" the same way...

7. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    It took some explaining to the gate agent (who wasn't familiar with the benefit) but I had printed the "Upgrades Overview" from .bomb and showed her the following section:
    Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
    • MileagePlus Explorer
    • MileagePlus Explorer for Business
    • OnePass Plus
    • World MasterCard for Business
    • Presidential Plus
    • Presidential Plus for Business
    • MileagePlus Club Card
    • MileagePlus Club Business Card
    Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be sorted as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

You won't be placed on the CPU list automatcally and you can't be added to the list by customer service over the phone. You have to request to be placed on the upgrade list at the gate. As has been previously mentioned, this isn't one of United's better executed benefits.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This poor implementation may be the 'fix' for the bug that allowed non-qualifying flyers on qualifying awards to get upgrades. I had two such upgrades happen for my daughter and a friend of hers using my miles.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They haven't indicated any desire to "fix" that. And the implementation on this has sucked since pretty much the day it was announced.

8MiHi likes this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    So true.