CPU as a Silver member

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nestep, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is correct, I thought getting one of these was about as likely as seeing a dinosaur but I received one from today from a flight tonight from MCO to DEN. I'm guessing it is due to my 20+ PQS this year so far, or maybe I just got very lucky? Thoughts?

8MiHi and mht_flyer like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't really have anything to do with how much you've flown year-to-date. Enjoy the upgrade! Occasionally they do happen for Silver members.

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe you. I do hope you enjoyed it and maybe took pictures...
    In reading the postings last year I determined in a completely scientific and objective manner that Silvers actually did get upgraded from time to time. I would not be surprised if Silvers could get upgraded 10% or more if they can be flexible in their schedule and stay off planes with significant business travelers.

nestep likes this.
  4. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! I've been upgraded once as a Silver a few months ago. It was LAS to SFO and the first cabin was almost empty and I was like 10th on the list but made the cut! Just wish it would have been on a longer flight!

8MiHi likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having a fairly empty flight from a non-elite hub city when booked far in advanced on a high cost fare helps in my experience.

8MiHi and nestep like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    On PMCO I knew certain routes that would get upgrades in advance for Golds and sometimes even for Silvers. EWR-MDW was a sure thing. Of course there are Frequent Fliers who are disturbed by landing on a runway that short, but hey, I'm an adventurous guy that likes upgrades...

daninstl and nestep like this.
  7. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not recall CO or UA ever landing at MDW. How long ago was this?

8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps 5 or 6 years up to the merger. It was the cheapest way to Chicago and even as a Gold I was always upgraded.

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Continental had a couple of gates near the Potbelly sandwich stand mmmm.:)

10. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also remember this....ah the good ol days

8MiHi likes this.
  11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy a lotto ticket. You're on a roll of luck.

nestep likes this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    From where? EWR? Before my time

8MiHi likes this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Midway was offered up until the announcement of the merger. It was always the cheapest offering to Chicago on PMCO. I used that route many times. Even learned how to use the CTA.

14. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    PMUA did go back to MDW for a short time in the mid 1980s.

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the end it was only COEX from CLE, though. But, yes, CO flew to MDW until just before the merger.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was Silver almost the entire year of 2010 on CO, and IAH-SJO and vice-versa was a lock for a CPU. Since the merger, it's a hard UG even for a 1K. It's all about the numbers, really. Two airlines' elites combined into one, with fewer flights as a result. That, IMHO, is why they had to implement PQDs. There was no way to meet the expectations of so many Premiers on the current number of flights.

Silvers flying to/from Latin America can still often luck out and get an UG on Copa if the routes and flights are carefully selected. Copa, however, does not do the award UGs associated with the M+ CCs. It has to be a revenue ticket. Oddly, I tried for months to apply a RPU to my LAX-PTY-SJO trip earlier this week, and it never would clear. They don't wait list, so it required repeatedly calling in to check availability. I'm a 1K, so as not to confuse this with the Silver discussion, but my CPU cleared at T-24. It's a very nice ride. :)

8MiHi likes this.
  17. espostor

espostor Silver Member

Status Points:
    MDW was also a TED destination for a time. Rar.

18. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, it's probably the airports involved, and the planes flown, but even with higher level tickets, we are not seeing 10% any longer, and both of us are 1K's. In the last six mos. (spanning 2013 - 2014), I think that we have gotten UG's, that we did not pay for with miles, $ or instruments, 4 times. Two of those were on CRJ-700's.

8MiHi and nestep like this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still get them quite frequently as a 1K, but I think that people who fly on routes such as yours are supporting my belief that PQDs had to be put into place. Not for passengers like me, although I'll surely get more next year, but for passengers like you - assuming you qualify. Although, they might get me back if I need to fly DFW-IAH-SJO next year. I'm moving to MDE in June, so it's a lot less likely now, but it sure will be interesting if the need arises to see if I can buy an E+ seat and get the UG again.

8MiHi likes this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The key to getting upgrades is finding flights no FF takes. Going to a vacation destination with little conference business out of season is usually a sure bet. Other than that, its getting tougher for all of the reasons stated above. I have no doubt that the business managers at UA want there to be few upgrades that aren't paid for.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any upgrade experience out of FLL? I get silver status as a Marriott Plat Prem benefit.

8MiHi likes this.
  22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The few flights I had taken out of/into FLL have not been recent, but I distinctly recall having to apply RPUs as a 1K to insure my UG (all to/from SFO). I've been rather surprised each time at how full the flights have been. Whether or not it may have been season, well... my memory fails me.

gregm likes this.
  23. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had very good upgrade experiences for FLL-EWR as Gold (~25%) and Platinum (75%) through 2013. With the push to sell UGs through TOD upgrades, I expect my future experience to be less fruitful.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  24. qquixotic

qquixotic Active Member

Status Points:
    My very first flight as UA Silver was personal, traveling with wife to CUN last fall, midweek. We were upgraded both ways. Nothing since then however...

Speaking of TOD upgrades, is there a thread on them? I TOD upgraded on a recent flight back from HI. To my surprise I haven't received PQDs for that...do TOD upgrades not qualify?

8MiHi likes this.
  25. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    CUN seems to be one of those airports with little draw for FFs. So that is likely a good one for CPUs for Premiers of all levels. TOD upgrade fees are not listed as counting as PQDs, only base fare, carrier imposed fees and E+ fees (including subscriptions).