CPU ?: 6 people on one PNR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Jan 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to book a flight for 6 of us ORD-DCA on a weekend.

This way I can get everyone into E+ (I am gold, 5 GM)...

It's on a 757 on a weekend and I think there's a good shot I will clear Upgrade.

How does this work with so many people on a PNR... Usually it's just my wife and I so we occasionally both get upgraded.

I'd like to try to ensure atleast she has a shot to get upgraded... Do all 6 people go on CPU list? Me +1? If so, how do I pick the one?

2. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great question - I unfortunately don't have UA experience but on AA they generally require a split PNR to ensure that the upgrade request is placed and clears properly -- although with that said I am sure there is someway in their GDS they can designate your MP number as the traveler (or your PNR traveler number 1.1,1.2 etc) as the one that needs to receive the upgrade. I would definitely call MP customer service before booking anything and they should hopefully be able to shine some light on the mater. Let us know what you find out - as i am sure the resolution could hold weight on other carriers too!

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I recall, it's you + 1, and you get to select one at check-in. The rest will be split into a separate PNR - so keep an eye on the return for unexpected seat assignment changes, e.g., due to equipment swap. Your companions may be booted out of E+ without you on the same PNR.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best bet is to book all as one PNR and select the seats. Then split yourself and one other into a new PNR. You and the +1 will be eligible for CPU at your window.

5. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My worry about that would be having the rest of the group bumped out of E+ sometime between when the PNR is split and takeoff. I've had a couple of times when that's happened, and it's really annoying (particularly when it happens after you've already checked in and printed boarding passes, so your companions board with an E+ boarding pass, find people in their seats, and then get told that they've been moved to a middle seat in the back of the plane).

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time that should happen these days is with an equipment swap. Otherwise there are no "sweeps" which would do it. And you can wait until the week travel to make the split. Otherwise you are doing it at the gate which will still split the PNR and still only let you+1 have a chance but it is a much worse chance. And you still have the same potential trouble on the return.

You basically have to pick what is important to you in terms of things which might go wrong. I'd book for the upgrades and deal with the E+ when lost if that even happens.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second that, unless for some reason you cannot allow members of your party to be separated. I had that happen to my 6 y.o. on a flight to CUN, and sorting it out at the gate was no fun. If everyone was an adult I'd be much less concerned.

TAHKUCT and Wandering Aramean like this.