CPM for a Mileage Run

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Tenmoc, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering what you guys were using these days for CPeqm on a MR. I used to limit it to 3 cents or lower unless I could get some value like an afternoon someplace to see friends etc. But I am finding it terribly hard to come across anything in that range these days. At least on AA.

So I was wondering, with increasing fuel prices and everything else going up, are you increasing your limits or just not taking them at all?

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking 4 CPEqm is more reasonable this year, but even that may be difficult.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin likes this.
  3. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to minimize pure MRs unless I have to, as I'd like to combine them with vacation. For the few times I've done pure MRs (don't leave airport), I've been looking at about 4cpm. A few years back, I was able to get 2.5cpm and maybe down to 2cpm with the double EQM promos, so maybe 4cpm is reasonable. I use EQM for my cpm calculation because that's the part that concerns me enough to actually do a MR.

craz likes this.
  4. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very hard to find anything under 4. I factor in whether I'm upgraded, the fun I'll have and quality of aircraft. for instance, my latest trip is lax-ord-pvg which is 17000 eqm and 34000 redeemables for 840ai, roughly 5cpm. But since my evips will clear at purchase, it's good value for me to be in 777 business and have international lounge access.

Before this flight, the only interest MR was lax-fll same day turn for 219ai for 4800 miles

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked approximately 96K EQMs so far this year (all for travel to be completed by early May).

By my rough estimate I'm in for just over $3000 in airfare. That puts my average below 3cpEQM.

It is definitely possible with some flexibility.

Noelene likes this.
  6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to at least stay 1 night wherever I fly to. Since fares are way up this year if its close to .02 I might jump on a couple of Immediate returns, have 1 coming up next Weds but since I just got back from a 1 nighter at the same place its not so bad not staying since I already did what I would have anyway

but I try very hard not to do Immediate turns

7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these fares you're using FD on?

8. Lindyhopper

Lindyhopper Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts are similar to above, about combining a MR, EQM driven, with a cheap vacation, as opposed to a pure mileage run. There were a number of deals in January and February, before oil was $100/barrel.
    At least at the moment, 4cpm is good on AA/One World. I am just waiting for better deals, although I may do the Iberia/JNB trip if I can time it around work and hope that it comes in at 100% not 30%.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only one of them did, with a net savings of about $200.

Most of these trips have a stop somewhere along the way, too. Certainly that adds to the TCO, so to speak, but I'm taking the trips because I like the travel and because I want to see things where I go. I definitely do not include the cost of the diving in Guam last weekend as part of the CPM calculation; I happened to go diving on Sunday and it happened to be in Guam. Make sense?

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with that thought process. My theory usually revolves around dinner since most of my MRs are domestic to the west coast. I'd spend $100 going to dinner on Saturday no matter where I am. It just happens to be in SF a couple times a year.

So yes, I understand and also do not consider that in the eqm costs.

Glad to see there are still 3/eqm trips out there.

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont worry much if its 5cpm or lower, especially if I'm going someplace for a day trip or on a nice airplane, or nice airport (like an SFO or similar).

12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand that a little. I think I'd pay about 5c/eqm to go check out the new AC at SFO.
    In fact, I think I might. Thanks for the idea.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  13. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the hardest part for me. With limited vacation days, it's really hard for me to consider positioning myself to some place and start a long MR to burn half of my available vacation days, unless there's some sight seeing etc involved.

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was there a few weeks ago on a good MR fare from GRR. Spent about 3 hrs on layover and got to see airlines typically reserved for the west coast. Air China, ANA's, New Zealand, Singapore, even a special treat when an LH744 rolled into arrivals. I thought it arrived later in the day but I was pleasantly surprised:

Attached Files:

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I kinda can't wait to check out the new AC at SFO too... my wife and I will be there in a couple of weeks!!

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. I have yet to do a pure MR where I don't leave the destination airport and just return home. I'm motivated to gain EQMs/MQMs to keep my FF status, so when I see 4.9 CPM or less flight that I can work into a weekend or vacation trip, I've booked those.

17. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no wrong answer when it comes to CPM for MR. It depends on what it typically costs to get out of town. I'm happy with 5cpm knowing I can't do much better on Alaska airlines metal out of BOS. Sure I could fly the partners DL and AA but it takes more miles to get status and my chances for sitting in F on AA is 0 and my chances of getting upgraded on DL are small. On Alaska I can almost gauarantee an upgrade. Out of the last 115K i only sat in Y for 10K. Sometimes its not always about the miles