Covering the 9/11 Memorial - NY Trip Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by UA191, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

As some of you know, I'm a reporter & my job requires me to travel quite a lot.
    Earlier this week, I went to NYC to cover the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
    Even though I go to war-zones for a living, this was truly a life-changing experiance.

We flew MQ (American Eagle) from YYZ to LGA on Sep. 10, a flight that I've done many times.
    Surprisingly, the security was very lax & they didn't even ask me to remove my computer.

Through my status with LAN, I somehow got upgraded to First on the outbound.

[​IMG]
    Our CRJ 700 waiting on the Tarmac (sorry for the Instagram edits)

The cabin of a brand spankin' new RJ:
    [​IMG]

On approach to LGA, we had some amazing views of the city, as usual:
    [​IMG]

My hotel of choice in NYC is the Crowne Plaza Times Square.
    The people there are wonderful & the location is even better!
    I didn't take any pictures of the hotel on this trip, but It's a very nice place.

One of the things that I love most about going to NY is that you can hop on a plane & two hours later, be walking around in Times Sqaure. On this trip, that's exactly what we did:
    [​IMG]
    Our hotel was literally 100 feet from where this picture was taken!

Later in the day, we visited the 9/11 Memorial's offices where we found the following:
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Joe Daniels, 9/11 Memorial President

Continued in comments...

rwoman and MissBurrill like this.
  2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fast forward to the next morning at 3:30AM.
    Our crew wakes up & takes the 20 minute trek down to the WTC site in a classic NYC taxi.
    The security is extremely tight, as we all expected.

The day's first glimpse of Freedom Tower (New WTC Tower 1):
    [​IMG]

All of the media will reporting from atop the World Financial Center this morning, a building that is adjacent to the 9/11 Memorial & new WTC site. We went through 3 security checkpoints before we made it to the front doors.

Some American heros protecting us:
    [​IMG]

Once we finally made it to the World Financial Center, we headed to the roof of building 2 to witness the ceremonies for the day. We were in good company with Anderson Cooper & Ann Curry with us.

As two presidents (Obama & Dubya.) would be attending, there were secret service snipers that were there, as well:
    [​IMG]

I can tell you of one instance where a group of people emerged on a building below. The sniper spotted it before any of us did. Within 3 seconds, he had counted 15 people. 20 seconds after that, there were NYPD officers on the roof of that building asking the group to leave. One of the many American heros I met on Sunday.

My job on Sunday was to write a live timeline of the events happening in NYC, Shanksville and Washington, D.C. If you're curious to see what I wrote, you can do so at: http://t.co/YgfkgVm.

Here's a picture of the magnificent 9/11 Memorial exactly 10 years after the second building fell (during moment of silence).
    [​IMG]

While we were on the roof top, I had the chance to speak with a WTC First Responder. He was just an ordinary citizen going to his day job at a nearby building on 9/11, when he witnessed something that he would never forget. He went into the building and saved 10 people that day. After the people he helped had escaped, he was held captive under the rubble for almost 24 hours before he was found, just barley alive.

I will never forget his story. It warmed my heart in so many ways & had all of the journalists in tears.

The WTC towers took 6 years to build. They fell in 102 minutes. We will never forget, 9/11.
    [​IMG]

Bonnie, rwoman, CrankyScott and 2 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    mjones,

Thanks for sharing!! Great pics.

:) robin

Flyer1976 and UA191 like this.
  4. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My pleasure.

rwoman likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great read, I'm glad you shared this.

Do you mind sharing your instagram handle? Always looking for other traveling IGers.

UA191 likes this.
  6. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, It's @mjones333. What's yours?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LeoRawrs81

I'm not using it much lately but trying to get back into it!

UA191 likes this.