Courtesy note when moving threads and editing posts?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by JALPak, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that sometimes when threads are moved or posted edited, the admin/milepoint guide didn't leave a note in the thread or in the original post. The latest example is Rumor: An alleged CX FA gave the pilot a fellatio at the cockpit, possibly during the flight was originally started on the CX forum but is now moved to newsstand and left a couple of us puzzled about it (e.g. why this news article is moved and numerous other non-miles/points related news threads e.g. Qantas tells 120 pilots they can go fly for Emirates aren't moved). A courtesy note would have been nice and at least this way we know why it has been moved or edited in case of a post, and more importantly avoid doing it again in the future.

Just my 2 cents

HaveMilesWillTravel and Chimpy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a feature of the software itself... I know with some forum software such as VBulletin the admins can actually leave a link to an existing thread when it's moved, renamed as "Moved: [original title]" so that people know that the thread was moved. The redirect can be temporary too so it disappears eventually, permanent or the thread can be moved without a redirect.

Same thing when editing posts... when a moderator edits a post it automatically leaves a note saying who did it and when, with an optional entry from the person that edited leaving a reason. Posts edited by admins are not marked as such though.

Not sure if that functionality exists here and is disabled or if it's just not available, but I agree that it would be useful to make sure people know when they browse a particular section if a thread was moved (for those that don't subscribe to threads).

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if the software doesn't do that automatically, they should at least put a note in the post themselves or post a new message in that thread to explain about the moderation.

But a link to the new location would be nice too :)

Chimpy likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One thing different here from vBulletin and other BBS software is that the URL to a thread is a direct path to that thread, and doesn't include forum information. Therefore, when a thread is moved, the URL doesn't change. (look, for example, at the URL of this thread in your browser address bar). Moving a thread doesn't affect the watch thread function or bookmarks, and links to it from other threads don't get broken, so it isn't as nuclear as moving threads was under vBulletin.

I'm not sure about the need to leave a note in the old forum, but I think a conversation sent to the OP with an explanation would be good both as a courtesy and so the OP would learn what triggered the move, and be able to adapt to that with future posts.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never realized that there could be this advantage of the MP convention of not having the thread URL indicate the forum. To me, it's sometimes annoying and confusing when I can't easily tell what forum I'm in without deliberately scrolling up or down instead of just glancing at the top of my screen at any time, especially if I got there from a new or trending threads list. This sometimes leads to misinformation when someone replies to what they think is a general travel thread or one about a different airline that it's actual location. Of course, the easy fix would be for OPs to get into the habit of including some identifying information, such as the airline code, in the thread titles they create.

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the problem is people who haven't subscribed to nor bookmarked the thread will have a hard time finding the thread in the old forum. If they use the search this forum function, it will return nothing. Whether leaving a link from the old forum is debatable. But what I want to see is at least some kind of courtesy note when moderation happens. Unless there's a valid reason, I would rather prefer the note in the post being edited or in the thread that's being moved. This way everyone not just the poster can learn from what triggered the moderation and be able to adapt to that.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Whenever I've edited a post, I've always sent the poster a message explaining what and why I was editing.