Couple questions from the new guy

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Photonerd71, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings all, I just found this forum the other day and have been reading it and have got some good info from it. Now my three (for now ) questions:

a) I have a trip on Continental (sorry I live in Houston and refuse to call it by the other name until every single sign has been changed, and even then I still may call it Continental) next monday and was only 2k miles from finally getting silver elite status (whoohoo) so I went ahead and did the "purchase extra miles/elite maximizer" option to get over the hump. Question is how long before my elite status will change? the lifetime miles changed almost instantly.

b) second, I will be traveling later this year to visit family and plan on cashing in my regular miles for the ticket ( my travel dates are very flexable) and would like to know if that trip (IAH-PWM) will count towards my lifetime mile total (I know they wont add to my elite status total for the year).

c) and last. I plan on shooting up to Dallas over the New Year weekend to catch a hockey game and will be going up on Dec31st and back home on Jan 1 will these miles count on my 2011 or 2012 eqm total. (or split between both)?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

a) It will probably be shortly after the miles from your associated flight post, although it could be as much as a week later.

b) No, no mileage credit in any form for an award ticket (unless IROPs happen, you're rebooked, and the agent makes a mistake, although this would probably be caught and corrected later)

c) any flight scheduled to leave before midnight should count as this year, otherwise next year, so the miles for your trip will be split (although not necessarily equally unless you use the same routings for outbound and inbound)

cordray2643 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same category of booking class too, e.g. F vs Q :p

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True too, although it's not necessarily so easy to get a ticket in different cabins or dramatically different booking classes unless you know to ask for it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome photonerd. There are lots of entertaining photo threads here. Birds, Lighthouses, Airports, Aircraft, Cars... the list grows every day. You, we hope will add to those, given your handle.:D

6. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the game, photonerd!

7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies.

A quick update, i am now officially a silver elite member. not that it gets me much other then early boarding. I had to call the onepass hotline number. The lady on the phone had no idea why i was not automatically updgraded as I had 26k elite miles. So she went ahead and did it manually.

Now after all that I am probably going to go for the million on American. As I am a whole lot closer there then I am with Continental (160k vs 50k) plus, as of right now all my miles will count not just flight miles.

Anyway, back into the shadows for a while.