Couple flying 1st class ATL-HNL when Delta switching to 747-400--Upstairs or downstairs better?

Discussion in 'SeatExpert' started by Samnpam, Jan 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Samnpam

Samnpam Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are going to Hawaii (from Atlanta) for our 30th anniv and used miles to get 1st class. Neither of us have had lie-flats on long hauls before so we are going by what we can see online. We picked 5G & 5J for both legs on Airbus A330-300. They seem the best for a couple to converse across aisle without seat barrier we would have if we were next to each other. Delta just announced they are switching to 747-400 on May 1 so our return flight is now on the 'double decker'. We're trying to figure out the best 2 seats for the return to Atlanta which will be a red-eye. Delta gave us 11F and 11K which look about the same as 5G & 5J on the outbound flight. We are looking at whether we should either move further up to seats like 2 or 3 A & K on lower deck or move to upper deck for return. All seats except 74 A are available in upper deck right now, and most in lower deck are also available. Advice for us? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    With fewer and fewer opportunities to experience the 747 upper deck, I'd go for that, although sitting way up front is also tempting.

Samnpam likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never flown on a Delta 747, but I always choose upper deck on UA's 747 if I have a chance (and have been fortunate to have experienced it about a dozen times now). Would definitely choose that. Closest I will ever come to experiencing the private jet feel.

Samnpam likes this.
  4. Samnpam

Samnpam Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. We are going for 77A&K in upper deck... Don't know when/if we'll get another chance. We were upgraded ATL to Amersterdam a few years ago but that was when airlines were trying to be nice to stop their bleeding! I don't think they upgrade long hauls anymore, even to fit a couple more economy folks in seats in the cheap seats.