Coup in the Maldives

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mike Reed, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, looks like there's been a coup in the Maldives. The first democratically elected president is now out of office.

Hardliners are calling for no more pork or alcohol at the resorts. You can expect tourism to drop off to near zero.

Link to the story.

Kalboz and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    This when I am planning a trip! Not fair ;)

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad I got to go before all this tumult started. OTOH I was really looking forward to burning my Hyatt points at their resort there in the next year or so. :(

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day, there are many beautiful places in this world. I would avoid visiting any place with this kind of political turmoil and opt for one of the countless others out there.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't take the rhetoric at face value. Politics isn't about policy. Leaders pushing for harder line Islamic policies also own some of the higher end resorts. I'm not worried about my upcoming visit to the Maldives.

autolycus likes this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your attitude is fully justified, but if I were you, I'd check the State Department's travel advisory page for Maldives updates regularly until the trip.

For anyone reading who doesn't know where to find the list of current travel warnings, it's here: Current Travel Warnings It has links to specific information about each country. Mexico, for instance, is under a travel warning because of the internal conflicts associated with the cartels. State isn't telling you don't go to Mexico; they're just saying be careful and avoid certain areas of higher violence. They've also prohibited US government employees from traveling to certain areas with a large number of kidnappings.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This tourist is unfazed.

Interesting theory offered in the piece, certainly the case that several opposition leaders own resorts, but also that the coup was financed by resort owners ... would make sense, the government was in favor of growing tourism through opening up more islands to development, that would have meant more competition.

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found this part surprising in this article and unsettling.