Countries that deserve your money

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.news.com.au/news/countries-that-deserve-your-money/story-fnejlrpu-1226564450759

AN website on ethical travel lists the hot travel destinations that deserve to have cash spent on them. Find out where you should travel in 2013.
    Ethical Traveller's hot country list is a must view for any traveller with a conscience. Ten countries are chosen for the list every year based on their record for Environmental Protection, Social Welfare and Human Rights.
    According to the website, the 10 countries chosen are those that are "doing the most impressive job of promoting human rights, preserving their environment, and upholding civil society - all while creating a sustainable, community-based tourism industry. By visiting these countries, we can use our economic power to support best practices."
    "Where we spend our travel dollars-has real economic and political significance," Ethical Traveller writes. "By choosing our destinations well and remembering our roles as citizen diplomats, we can create international goodwill and help change the world for the better."
    So where can you go with a clear conscience in 2013?
    Read More: http://www.news.com.au/news/countries-that-deserve-your-money/story-fnejlrpu-1226564450759

Slow_Mustang, uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  2. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    An interesting list, wonder how many people will go out of their way to put these destinations on their list of countries to travel to.

3. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to stay safe and only go to places that I can fully relax and have fun

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how a scientific approach was applied in comparing and then selecting these countries. The bullet points in the reports seem to be rather subjective measures. E.g., a plus for Lativa is

On Nov 18, 2011, President Obama praised Latvia, saying “Today Latvia is a flourishing democracy
    and an inspiration to countries around the world.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad Costa Rica's on the list.

One of the founders, Jeff Greenwald, wrote a hilarious book called Shopping for Buddhas.

estnet likes this.