Could we have an Orlando FL topic

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by safetymom, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    We could share lots of information on the theme parks and area.

Casey Friday, bea61 and mowogo like this.
  2. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second this request as we travel to Orlando, FL often.

3. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, and wish you would have participated more in the other boards Orlando area. You could have come in handy at times ;)

4. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:

5. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them.

6. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, so have we now made an Orlando topic? Yes, I have questions - thank you safetymom for your kind offer of information! I have somehow negotiated a trip to Orlando with my 2 college-age kids in May. The new Harry Potter ride at Universal was a key point. Anyway, we are staying 2 nights at the Dolphin for our time at Disney and one night at Portofino Bay for 2 days of Universal (taking advantage of the ability to check-in early and get 2 days of being an onsite guest. What I still need is one night in between these locations. Looking for something cheap - but quiet. I have researched Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn close to Universal. The price is right with either the Friends and Family or the MVP discount - but the reviews on Tripadvisor give me pause.
    Anyone have a recent experience at a hotel close to the parks they would like to share?
    Thanks!

7. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't need help, I could have used help in answering other people :) But thanks!

8. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the Doubletree. It is right across the street from Universal Orlando and it is a beautiful hotel. Just be prepared for crowds at Islands of Adventure with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Are you driving in Orlando? Disney offers Magical Express, free transportation to Disney resorts. The Dolphin doesn't qualify.

9. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Safetymom - thanks! I will check out the Doubletree. We are flying in and renting a car. Do you have any opinions on Disney ticket options? I want a park-hopper, but we are only doing 2 days. I know the price per day drops quite a bit for the 4 and 5 day park hopper, but then I would add on the no-expiration options which is a bit pricey. The 'Unofficial Guide' doesn't think this is a good deal - but if I am sure I will use these in the future, it seems worthwhile to me.

10. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are going to add the non expiration option then I would buy as many days as you can. That would make it worthwhile. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with no expiration. The same with park hopping. Unless you know for sure that you will park hop I would wait to add them when you are at WDW.

11. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still hoping for an Orlando sub-section....next question: We are traveling to Orlando in mid-May with two college-age kids. I originally booked the Portifino as we stayed there last time and I really liked the ambiance. But we are on a very tight schedule and I am thinking the Hard Rock might be best based on reviews that it is in walking distance to the park. Anyone have recent experience at either hotel? As for the water slides - is one better(bigger) than the other? I can't seem to find a good picture of these online. I am booking one night to get the 2 day advantage of staying on-site.

Also, I was hoping that the parks would not be super crowded this time of year - but now I have just read that May is Florida resident discount month and they are crowded then...opinions?

Finally, any opinions on Dolphin vs Swan? Currently booked into Dolphin for 2 nights...
    Thank you!