Could have pretty easily been called Continental instead of United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SFOPeter, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just occurred to me when typing ual.com instead of united.com that if the url was still ual.com chances are the merged airline would have gone with Continental as the name since the domain name was available! Lucky that United Trucking sold the domain...

jmrich1432 likes this.
  2. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many reasons besides domain availability why it would have been more honest to call the new airline Continental.:mad:

NoFlyY, yaychemistry and bhatnasx like this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't even United branding. Here are the Twitter icons for each company:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

viguera likes this.
  4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :confused: How so?

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have your read SMI/J's bio?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

7. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It could also have been called Continited or my favorite: Unitinental.

bonnerbl and Freddie Listo like this.
  8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for answering EWR764's question then.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My point was that although he's an attorney by trade he never practiced in the personal injury space that I'm aware of, and that's generally who the term "ambulance chasers" refers to. Feel free to disagree and denigrate all attorneys. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Ygor and sdm1130 like this.
  10. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, but is this post necessary?

I yearn for the ability to block other posters on this website.

dkelly1110 and sdm1130 like this.
  11. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was a :) missing from the end of your quote?

12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably not.

Unfortunately there are some members here that think that anything said about SMI/J or his decisions are sacrosanct.

And if other members have the audacity to discuss or suggest better solutions, then they should be "blocked" or get the "if you don't like it, go fly another airline" response.

Which is really baffling to me, since we are all flyers and we should be championing for flyers rights and improving the experiences and use of the travel products that we use so frequently. I don't understand the need to consistently defend an airline or the CEO.

Fortunately, unlike the other website, MilePoint does not censor posts that might be deemed negative about the CEO or the airline.

jw3711 likes this.
  13. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I don't understand the need to constantly deride anyone, especially when we step outside the realm of truth and accuracy. If you don't like the guy, that's fine with me. I personally have no opinion one way or another. But posting borderline libelous comments about anyone, and defending posters that choose to do that, doesn't make the object of those statements look bad, it makes those posters who choose to engage in those activities look petty and foolish.

Even if we can't keep the discourse civil (which I don't understand why we can't), let's at least state things that are factually correct. Or do facts get in the way of certain agendas?

14. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must we be denigrated? I prefer venerated if that's ok.:p:D

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All I've posted here are facts. No agenda nor opinion. If the facts contradict your agenda that sucks, but they're still facts.

16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we start an "attorney joke" forum?

17. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am eminently aware of Jeff's legal career (he has offered me some helpful advice over the years in my own) and can comfortably say that he is not, nor ever has been an ambulance chaser. Furthermore, while he is an attorney by trade, it has been some years since he has been involved in the day-to-day practice of law.

It's a bit of a derogatory term for those of us in the profession and while I am not personally offended by it, some may be. It only reflects the ignorance of the person invoking it. Regardless, I think his credentials ensure that this sobriquet is clearly misapplied.

I just had an issue with the 'ambulance chaser' reference. I'm aware that a General Counsel is an attorney... but thanks anyway. ;)

Wandering Aramean, jbcarioca and Geo like this.
  18. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmmm... was meant to be a fun thread about airline domain names and how united's used to suck... oh well. :)

PanAm and torbster like this.
  20. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as the term "Ambulance Driver" is for a Medic

Whether we like it or not, when we frequent a business we get used to the way it operates. There is a comfort factor there. Unfortunately, change hits us emotionally. We have uncertainty as we don't know what is going to happen. That causes us to react emotionally. Facts don't help calm us.

sunseeker and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather agree with some others. It hurts toi have gratuitous commentary that implies negative things, even if said in jest. Were the discussion about D. Strauss-Kahn I doubt one could resist, but it is about Jeff Smisek whose reputation AFAIK is unblemished. Disliking his decisions, if so, is fine, but personal gratuitous slights seems not to be so to me.

22. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it, its kind of like the Cleveland Browns.... The name and "history" of the Browns stayed in cleveland. The team playing in Cleveland now is called "The Browns" and all of the records of the old Browns teams, but we all know that the real Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996.
    Or if Seattle ever gets an NBA team back, the real supersonics are in OKC, and any new Seattle Supersonics will be a sham team.

The new airline kept the "name and history" of United, just like the sports franchises, but we know that it's a different airline. (although to be fair, its also different from the old Continental in some ways).

To be completely honest, i'm still relatively new to the frequent flier game compared to many of you. I don't have as much skin in the game, I guess I'd say. But as a Sonics fan I certainly know where you are coming from. So as long as they keep channel 9 like they promised then I'll survive.

Jslo likes this.
  23. NoFlyY

NoFlyY Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a UA 1K GS member in SFO. Having occaisionally flown CO prior to thier entry into *A, and then a bit more afterwards, I never saw the "magic" and never understood why the airline was so widely praised. IMO, CO wasn't all that great, they were merely less bad than most of the other network airlines.

Though far -- very far -- from perfect, UA certainly offers good utility here in SF. I also find UA's flight attendants to be demonstrably warmer, polite, and more professional than many of their CO counterparts.

I share the opinion of others that UA is becoming CO, and I can't say I'm pleased. I've actually reduced my flying on UA, shifting it to DL and VX. I'm curious whether others have done similarly, or are cosndering doing so.

24. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    i still fly UA intl and SFO-PDX, but otherwise have switched all domestic travel to VX since they started flying. Nice people, internet, power plug and TV did the trick for me. Downside is that upgrades are only avail 6 hours in advance and are expensive for transcons.

py

25. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really have much choice out of Denver. I still am probably 90% UA but concur with your sentiment re: CO v. UA experience. Until they dehub DEN or another international carrier is servicing DEN, I am stuck with UA. It's not all bad. Just not as good as it was.