Could a new carry-on luggage 'valet' service end the fight for overhead storage space on flights?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could a new carry-on luggage 'valet' service end the fight for overhead storage space on flights?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, these guys are "well trained"....:):D:)

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  4. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't deal with the big problem: there simply isn't enough bin space to accommodate a full-sized carryon for each passenger. That is the fundamental problem that is slowing down the boarding process.

5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not practical to have a space in the bin for every passenger to have a full sized bag, and on many routes it is unnecessary. I have been on many a flight to a vacation destination where the bins were nearly empty even when the plane is full. On the other hand, if you did build space for one bag per person, you still have lots of acceptable oversize items such as musical instruments which take up the space of 3-5 bags so someone is going to lose in the end. There also needs to be better compliance against completely ridiculous oversized bags. Not only do they steal space from other people, you get three or four in the same bin and you can easily be above the intended safe load of the door and latch.

They could circumvent this sort of thing on a lot of routes by charging a practical cost for bag fees... why am I* paying $25 to check my bag from LAX-SFO and the same $25 to check it from LAX-JFK? Charge a sliding scale based on the length of the trip and there is better perceived value to the passenger and you'll have a higher percentage of people willing to check.

*disclaimer: I have not paid to check a bag in many years. :p

Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like seals and if offered the wrong treat will sit up and bark.

7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes better adherence to each airline's policies and regulations on baggage would help.
    I have seen fewer boarding delays US flugs and I credit that to their strict enforcement of carryon policy.
    It starts at curbside / ticket counter. And again at security. Put the size wise restrictors on the conveyors.
    A better thought out checked bag fee system would also go along way.
    I always get a laugh out :rolleyes:of seeing someone dragging a duffel bag (that is larger and heavier than my checked bag) down the aisle and then struggling to find a place to shove and then being unable to lift it there.
    * disclaimer I too have not paid (money) to check a bag in years.
    * disclaimer I rarely do not check baggage @ 1 trip a year with carryon only.

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, when is the last time someone witnessed airline personnel actually checking the size of passenger's carry-on bags? Having witnessed first-hand so many DYKWIAs carrying oversized bags onboard the plane, it's high time for the airlines to enforce existing bag size rules! Otherwise we'll end up like on ExpressAir flight #314 from ORD to DFW: :p

http://www.hulu.com/watch/539034

9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe Amtrak is going to start enforcing our carry-on bag policy in October, along with new fees. I helped board train #4 (LAX-CHI) at LAX yesterday and there were several bags so enormously heavy I couldn't lift them. I'm no body builder, but I know I can lift 50 pounds. Some conductors will refuse carriage to passengers in violation, most just let them on and their oversize, overweight bags clog the aisles and racks.

In the future, I'm told it will be more like "you're allowed 2 carry-on bags. You have 8. You and the bags can come, but all the bags over 2 will cost you $xx each."