Costco (Kirkland) Brand Rollaboards on UA Aircraft

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, May 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read some reviews on Costco.com that its Rollaboards do not fit in the overhead bins wheels-first. However, it seems that most experiences are with Alaska and Delta.

Does anyone have recent experience or knowledge of the NEWER Kirkland-brand Roll-A-Boards, and whether they fit into the UA and/or CO overhead space wheels-first?

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have several Costco rollaboards and have traveled with them on both UA and CO and AS flights. I always put them in with the wheels towards the aisle. And they fit in just fine. There is even a handle on the wheels side to make them easy to remove.

At the front of first class some smaller planes are curved and the first bins seem a little smaller - maybe this is the recently retired 737s or the 319 - and on some AS planes I notice the bin hinges seem to stick down. But generally they go in lengthwise with the wheels out.

N965VJ likes this.
  3. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they don't work for you, at least Costco has an unbeatable return policy.

4. thats a nightmare for suppliers

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Won't speak to UA, but on AS, some 734 bins are super-small. Regular-sized rollaboards won't fit those bins either wheels-out or wheels-first.

Good news is AS is phasing those out for modern 738s and 739ERs. :)

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It might be, but Costco's customer service is, in my book, legendary.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think I'll buy a Rollaboard from Costco next week. Now, to figure out if I want the standard black or the burgundy color......

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decisions, decisions, decisions....:)

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how the KS 22 case works on UA & CO overhead bins.

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't fit in the front of the 73Gs either. I think it isn't until about row 3 or 4 where the plane is wide enough.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Will do. Have first flights with new luggage on Friday.

11. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    How'd things go? I lost my beloved older Kirkland rollaboard to a stuck zipper; I returned it to Costco and promptly picked up the new version; it WILL NOT FIT vertically in 737s or Airbus twins, although it will fit vertically in an MD-80.

I returned said new rollaboard today and found a cheapie substitute, holding out until Costco comes to their senses and redesigns the bag...hopefully back to the wonderful 2009 version.

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A brand new Kirlkand bag - 757 - wheels out, no problem. Wheels in, might have closed. Row 4. There is now a handle on the wheels side.

13. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There has been a handle on the wheels side for some years, but the latest model is a "scoop" handle on the wheels side instead of an open handle. This makes it difficult to grab the bag on the wheels side if it's upside down, or if it's on the security belt.

I submit you're going to have a problem on 737s and Airbuses.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I completely forgot about this thread.

After I posted what I did, I realized I had a lot of UAX flights coming up. And feeling that I didn't want to subject a brand new bag to the tender mercies of the Skycap folks, I'm still using my old and beat-up Travelpro Crew 5, complete with the blown-out wheel.

I've got a bunch of mainline flights next week and the week after. Was going to finally buy the Kirkland brand rollaboard this weekend, but DenverBrian's post pushed me over the edge to abandon that.

Still wanna look around, but I'm probably going to get the Travelpro Crew 8, instead ($187 on Amazon, but will be looking for cheaper elsewhere).

15. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It fit just fine on a VX 319 at Row 2.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
  18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had that Delsey bag for a while. It's nice, but if it's more than about 60% full it tends to be very front heavy, which means that when you've got it standing upright, and let go of the handle, there's too much weight on the front side of the bag, causing it to fall over on its face. It was my partner's bag but I traveled with it some while my Briggs and Riley was in the shop for some repair work that was needed after five years of weekly use. It drove me nuts during the month I traveled with the Delsey bag that I couldn't do something like walk up to a hotel or airline check in counter, let go of the bag, and have it stand on its own. It wasn't a problem with a light load, but with clothes for four days and an extra pair of shoes, the thing was incapable of standing upright without either holding the handle or leaning it up against something.

19. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
  20. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Either you don't have the most current version of the Kirkland carryon (and lucky for you if you managed to snag the 2009 edition) or you've been lucky so far. Take a look at the comments about the current bag at the Costco website.

To verify whether you have the most current version: Is the wheels-side handle an open handle or a scoop handle?

The new one I returned wouldn't fit in a UA 319 at row 11, nor on an F9 319 at row 6. It's essentially a half inch too long.

21. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That would be a dealbreaker for me, but I was trying to show the $135 bag, not the $85 one. It is odd how some bag makers can't get balance right.

22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ours was the more expensive one. But, yeah, it was a major annoyance. We finally got rid of it after TSA opened it to inspect it last year, and in the process, opened a bag containing a bottle of Mylanta, inspected the bottle, and didn't seal it back up completely. The bag showed up at baggage claim leaking Mylanta with stains on everything inside.

23. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ew! Well, that's good info to know. As Emily Litella would say...never mind. :D :D :D

24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My tip for packing any type of liquids is to place the bottle(s) into a ziplock bag and wrap bubble wrap around it. This should prevent any leaks, and it would have to be repacked even if it was inspected.

25. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure which version of the Costco 22" I own, but I'm guessing it's a couple years old. I hadn't used it for a long time as it wouldn't fit wheels first/wheels out on most airplanes. Recently I loaned out the 19" roller I'd been using as my primary carry-on and had to use the Costco 22" and had forgotten that it wouldn't fit. When I returned from my trip I used a screw driver to remove the 2 rubber extensions on the bottom of the bag. It still stands upright by itself with these pieces removed and it might be enough for it to fit properly in an overhead bin now (but I haven't been able to test this yet).