COSTCO discount for 10% off

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by IDGflygirl, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to remind folks who have a Costco membership, that there is a discount of 10% off daily rates when you put 'COSTCO' in the 'special offer code' space on Hyatt.com. Often this is the same as the 'AAA' promo, but for Int'l properties -- the AAA code often does not bring up any discounts!

2. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, IDGFlygirl! You are a good friend to us all.

3. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    THANKS for the reminder :)!!!!!!

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good suggestion.

I like the AAA rate not only due to the sometimes discount, but mostly because the rate comes with a decent cancellation clause to the reservation. Is the Costco rate an advanced pre-pay rate w/no cancellation?

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just want to say thanks as I was not aware of this rate. Made a call to Hyatt and got them to change the rate on our 3 upcoming stays for a total savings exceeding $100.

kenbo likes this.
  6. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I've seen, the cancellation policy on Costco rates mirrors the AAA rate. While the rates are usually the same, AAA rate can be a better deal when breakfast promo is available and Costco is generally more available at overseas properties. One additional rate I've seen more often at non-US Hyatts is the Aarp. It's not always as good as the Senior rate, but for those ages 50+ but under 62, it can provide good savings.

Kalboz and kenbo like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent, thank you !

8. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes. I forgot about the Aarp rates. I turned 50 last year, and joined Aarp as a joke! But, it saved me several hundred dollars on a cruise last year and more than paid for the $16 membership fee. Didn't think to use it to search for discounts on hotels overseas!

9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree about the AAA breakfast promo, esp. for those who don't have HGP diamond status! There are definitely some US properties where a AAA rate does not come up. I will have to look into AARP, -- I always thought that those rates were identical to the AAA rates!

10. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    Often the AAA and AARP rates are the same, but you can sometimes find AARP rates at intl. properties that don't offer AAA or COSTCO rates (e.g. Paris Vendome). I always check all the different options because sometimes the rates are different even when they offer all 3. The AAA breakfast rate is also a good option for Diamonds when the property only offers free breakfast in the club. At some HP locations, the AARP rate is 5% lower than AAA; not much, but it can add up.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to be 50 to be an AARP member. A spouse can be 50, and you can be under 50. I've never booked using it, to see if they'd ask, but if you have a membership card...

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past there has been both the Costco code and a number you can enter. Some properties would work with one or the other. 13365 worked in the past, not sure if it's still good.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll add that at times, the AARP rate has come with an additional $25 in food/beverage spend.

And you don't have to be 50+ for an AARP membership. They were happy to take my money and issue my card even with my disclosing my correct birthday.

Kalboz and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must have learned that "R" is no longer age dependent. I remember getting an invitation to join when I was about 29 ;-). I think given the benefits outlined here, I'll have to reconsider my rejection.

15. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do wonder why AAA rates do NOT appear when searching Hyatt's international properties?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have always assumed it's simply that those properties don't offer a AAA discount? Or is it a bug in the website and you can book it via the phone? (if so, I'd be rather mad -- not at you, of course -- because it could have saved me some $$$ last year)

17. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always assumed that the AAA discount was not offered on int'l properties b/c AAA is a US-based operation, and thus not an entity that most 'foreign' customers would be affiliated with!

18. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ii think this is correct as it is not only Hyatt for whom AAA does not work overseas. Also, I see international travelers asking how to join in advance of a US visit....

Kalboz likes this.
  19. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find it interesting that AAA discounts are not offered overseas, but AARP often are. Even nicer is the AARP rate is often the same as the more age-restricted Senior Citizen rate.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are international equivalents of AAA. If you look at Hilton's booking screen, they accept foreign automobile associations. I sort of assumed that Hyatt would as well, but that may very well be an incorrect assumption.

21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is peculiar to Hyatt, as Hilton's US website allows for the booking of AAA rates, but you must enter a valid AAA membership number in order to book this rate.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've seen that with Hilton. Clearly, this is to prevent folks from using the AAA discount who aren't legitimate members. Of course, at any given property, that is booked using the AAA rate, you can be asked to produce said membership card at check=in!

23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hilton's website is so particular that you have to actually enter a valid AAA number in order to book the AAA rate.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and now the Hyatt site is doing the same thing!

25. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The current COSTCO offer is for 10% off and 3rd night free (see link for full details)!