Cost of Mixing sAAver and AAnytime Legs on One Trip

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by aussieflyer, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't seem to find a definite answer so was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

I'm looking to book an award business class ticket BUD-MAD-BOS-LAX. The first two segments are on Iberia and obviously BOS-LAX on AA.
    My question is , if BOS-LAX is only available in AAnytime, will the mileage required go up 25k (the difference of sAAver and AAnytime on domestic) or will I have to pay the extra full 50k?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you planning to do stopovers in MAD and BOS? Is this one way or return? I am assuming you are looking to stop in both MAD-BOS as you have specified the routing. Either way, if there is no available sAAver availability on the domestic leg, the entire itinerary would reprice (to 100k for a Europe-North America award). It would cheaper in this instance if there was sAAver on the European leg to book separate legs MAD-BOS (sAAver), BOS-LAX (Aanytime), for 75k miles plus the cost of BUD-MAD (20k). Total cost in this case would be 95K.

3. aussieflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's one way and no, not stopping. This was the only thing available.

I'm not sure I understand what you write to separate the ticket.
    Business class, Europe-North America is 50k. Add domestic AAnytime business, 50k and you're at the same price as Europe-NA AAnytime.
    Seems like it may be worth just buying the last leg and sitting in coach to save 50k miles.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you're not stopping in MAD or BOS why are you set on this route? There are quite a few ways to get from BUD to LAX that might have better availability.

5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm aware of the BA and AA options it just happens to be the best timing. And I would like to know in general as well. What do most people do when they manage to find great international premium awards but the domestic flight is not available? Just book a paid ticket in coach?

6. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am doing exactly that for a trip ATL-ORD-HKG where there was CX F but no saver availability between ATL and ORD.