Cost bulkhead seating on United Express flight header to EWR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by cvarming, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I recently bought a ticket to Newark on flight CO1284 "Operated by Shuttle America dba United Express". I bought the ticket on continental.com as it was much cheaper than united.com. I figured that as the flight is operated by Shuttle America doing business as United Express, United seating would apply, i.e., as a premier I should be able to select any free economy plus seat. It turns out that Continental wants $39 for a bulkhead seat. If I go to united.com then the four bulkhead seats are shown as occupied. The flight is an e170 so I thought I would be safe on United seating.

Do you guys know if it is possible to get a bulkhead seat on this kind of United Express flights without paying the $39?

2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Premier, yes. Call United or CO and ask them to put you in the seat you want (assuming its available).

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you should link your UA and CO accounts. that will result in a Status Match on the corresponding airline. Then you will have silver status on CO and you'll be able to pick your seats. :)

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called United and they claimed that this flight is operated by Continental. It sounds like "Operated by Shuttle America dba United Express" is a scam to get around the 50 seat limit. This is starting to smell.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The E170 has 70+ seats, don't see how it's a scam. If you're Premier, call back and ask for the seat. You just got a bad agent

6. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks ss!

7. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you got some bad information from the agent. CO's regional operator ExpressJet doesn't run any E170s. So it's got to be a genuine UAX flight.