Corporate Status Match... to CO?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mike Reed, Aug 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting twist: my company offers a status match to United during our first year of employment, as United is our preferred airline.

Long story short, I qualified for EXP on AA this year. To be a good corporate citizen, I applied for a match. They came back and offered to match to 1P, stating they don't match 1K. I pushed back, saying I had no incentive to fly at a lower tier, especially since I am a short hop from DFW, and asking for reconsideration. I also threw in a possible compromise - OnePass Platinum (I can just as easily hop to Houston, and sometimes that even works BETTER for me).

They bit. Not sure it's happening, but they're willing to consider it. That said, is there a "top tips" thread I haven't found about living as a CO Platinum on United? I'm assuming (and will confirm) that at the end of the year this will roll into UA 1K... since the status should be granted through 2013.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't become 1K when the program merges unless you reach 100K miles by the end of 2011. Assuming you fulfill your match to Plat and stay under 100K EQM, then two things are possible: (1) You become 1K-light, meaning you get Prem Exec status + 2 CR1s just like any other Prem Exec that reaches 75K, or (2) there is a new 75K tier announced and you get that. Plat status on CO matches to Prem Exec on UA under the status-match program (which you should do as soon as you can if you plan on flying UA metal).

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm not sure how they're doing it, but it's outside the current CO Challenge program... it's the presto-changeo poof Platinum status. I've been made to believe it lasts through 2013, but frankly, that's what I think they're checking on - what status actually confers at the beginning of next year.

Given that the program isn't out, that's very, very likely up in the air. No way I'll hit 100K on UACO this year, and I'm not really inclined to try next year if I'm only mid-tier, meaning I'm second-class for upgrades - I'll just use my EXP status and fly AA instead. Comfort rules, and E+ doesn't cut it for me. :)

Thanks for the reply, though... I learned something!

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the program rules have changed, but earlier this year United was accepting status matches from AA EXP to 1K granted if you fly 35,000 miles on UA within 90 days... Historically speaking, in order to ensure 1K status through 1/13 you will still have to fly 100K miles by Dec 31.

CO on the other hand will let you keep your matched status until 1/13 if you match after a certain month [October??]...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...-matching-american-executive-platinums-to-1k/

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two programs. One is the challenge/match program to a competing carrier. The other is the match program between UA and CO for currently elites. They will not match you to 1K on UA, but you seem to have negotiated Plat on CO. My point is that once you have Plat on CO, then like every other Plat, you will have the opportunity to combine you status with UA and CO. Current Plats on CO do not get 1K with UA unless they also have the 100K miles.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be very surprised if any status match now would last (the whole way) through 2013, but it certainly should last through 2012--i.e., through January or February of 2013.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The status would be probably be valid until Jan. 31 2013 unless they made a point of telling you that your status would expire on 1/31/12 or sooner. You should be getting confirmation when you receive your credentials.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, by 2013 I meant the first month of 2013. I'd definitely have to re-qualify the "real" way in CY 2012.

9. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that in writing somewhere? I will hit Plat again this year with CO but wondered if there would be any incentive for me to do a run to hit 100k EQMs. In the CO program there is no point but if what you posted is true, then it would benefit me to push on to the equalivant level on UA.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is in the sense that they talk about combined miles. If your combined miles are over 100,000, you'll be a 1K. I don't think they've revealed the new "levels" for the combined program yet.

In my case, I'll be significantly under if my status resets at the end of the calendar year, and I'll be interested to understand how they'll determine qualification after a 3rd quarter match to a CO level. That will be abated if UA goes to a 4-level program, though...

11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't, you may want to look at this thread.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now the "Link your accounts" feature combines your EQM or status from both programs and gives you the appropriate status on each. (Accessible here). Assuming you have 0 EQM on United, then If you have Plat on CO then that means you flew at least 75K EQM. 50K on United gets you Premier Exec. There is no 75K tier, but you do get two CR1s.

Now, if you're a Plat on CO who has flown 100K EQM, then that's slightly different. You still get only Plat with CO because they don't have a 100K tier. But UA does, so UA will give you 1K instead of Premier Exec.

If you haven't linked your accounts yet, then you'll pretty much be forced to at the end of the year when OnePass disappears. Is it worth it to go for 100K by the end of 2011? Well, I'm 99% certain that 1K status or something like it will still be around. I'm not as certain that a 75K tier will exist, so if you don't fly 100K, then you might be stuck with lower status or you might not. A lot of people think it will be there, but I wouldn't count on it being the top. The new tiers and benefits haven't been announced yet, but when disputing some of the rumors, Shannon suggested it will be sometime at the end of September.

13. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the reply.

i haven't linked my accounts yet but will consider doing so before the end of December. i guess i will push on for the 100K and wait to see what happens/is announced for the MP program next month. (i think that is what i read for the rollout) the only thing i am "worried" about is the method i intend to use for getting to that 100K point. even though it is not the cheapest way, i plan on doing the maximizer route. (time is the main factor, of which i don't seem to have much of.) i have already done the calculations which shows i will easily make that next level. AFAIK that should work and not be an issue with United. would hate for them to announce suddenly that doing so won't count towards their 1K status.

anyway, thanks again for answering my question. :)

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting side note: The Premier Exec they offered on United showed up tonight. Still waiting to hear back if they were able to make CO Plat work (I originally turned down PE and told them I'd continue to fly AA instead).

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woke up this morning to find my CO status as Platinum! Now to start following the threads on the new MP program...

16. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    See Post #11 above

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read it. I have no idea how long CO Plat will last, but at the very least the PE they initially passed on says 2013. It'll be interesting to watch, especially given that my revenue through the end of this calendar year will be much, much less than those folks that spent a whole year flying UACO.