Core Credit Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Sep 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Evening,

I know that the credit card someone should keep as a core and perm credit card is up to everyone's individual preference. However, I wanted to know, are there cards that everyone should have, as they have great travel benefits? Im not talking about the ones you chrun, but the good ole trusty ones.

I think from what I have seen so far, Chase Freedom seems to be that card. Any other ones? Thank you.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally my primary card is:
    1. Chase Sapphire Preferred - 2 pts per $1 on dining and travel, no FOREX fee, and good CSRs.

I also like the SPG AMEX because of the 5K bonus for every 20K you transfer to an airline.

Kalboz, vickers and jbcarioca like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    depends what you value; but UA Explorer/Club gives your primary insurance which to me is worth the AF.
    Besides that it really depends on you.

if you are talking about nonAF then yeah Freedom/Amex HHonor are the top2 imo.

vickers and jbcarioca like this.
  4. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    My main core cards are the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the American Express Platinum. These cards provide a core of spending power and benefits around which I build the rest of my card activity. All other cards are less important than these two (although I do have other cards that I like very much and which play their own important roles in my milepoint hobby (e.g., SPG AMEX; US Airways Mastercard)).

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule it is good to have and keep an account with the oldest relationship you have. With most credit card issuers you can change from product to product while still keeping the original account history, especially opening date. Thus, you'll show on your credit report that long history. That is a Good Thing, especially with issuers with long institutional memory. Both Chase and American Express are consistent and maintain near-permanent memories.

For example, my American Express Delta reserve card, actually opened a month ago, shows on my credit report as opening in 1969, decades before the product was invented. My Chase Sapphire shows on the credit report 1966, when it was not even Visa, but Unicard (a Chase owned multibank card that was the first multi-bank card). That history permits lots of flexibility from an issuers perspective, hampered because it suggests I'm retired when glancing at the dates :rolleyes:

So, while I echo other posters here I'd try to meet your other priorities in a relationship context to build relationship history.

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sapphire Preferred is my go-to card, but I have a Navy Federal CU card that occasionally offers 0% and $0 balance xfer fees, so I use that to float occasionally as well, since it's my oldest card.

jbcarioca and vickers like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ink Bold for pretty much the same reasons as the CSP, but the added 5x for office supplies, telecomm and cable.

vickers, servo and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    CSP and Ink
    Marriott Rewards for Marriott spend
    Citi AA for AA spend
    UA Explorer for UA spend and rental cars
    Hilton Amex for.... you get the picture

10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, any Ultimate Rewards, SPG, or Membership Rewards (The big 3) earning credit card (http://www.drcreditcard.net/fr-spg-vs-mr-vs-ur.html). Out of the three, look at the transfer partners and see which program fits best for you. Once you decide 'your' best program, then there are multiple credit cards for each program. Except for SPG, there is only one CC that earns SPG points =(

If you're only into one specific airline or hotel, you may want to look into each of their respective CCs. Or use a combination of one of the 'Big 3' and combo it with a specific airline or hotel card (a lot of MPers use this combo).

Just make sure to study which of the 3 programs fits you best first (again, many MPers here use all 3!).

Sorry, I know you didn't come on here to find out I gave you homework. ;)

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The chart located at your link is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.

jbcarioca and SuperKirby like this.
  12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    NP. JIC you didn't know, the Chase Freedom can transfer points to the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus/Bold, in which can transfer to a FT program. The Freedom cannot transfer to a FT program directly.

13. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Club is the best if you do heavy spending, its 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases. The annual fee is high at $395, but lots of benefits to offset it. You get $100 back on first purchase, so fee is really only $295. Obviously you get United CLub membership, but also 1st and 2nd bags checked free for you and up to one other companion travelling on your reservation. Even if you only fly 3-4 times a year it pays for itself pretty quickly.

14. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a great link that allows you to input your spending patterns and it calculates the benefits of various cards:

http://milecards.com/12/travel-credit-card-calculator/

vickers likes this.