Copper River Wild Salmon coming SOON

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sandaestes, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Copper River Wild Salmon fishing season is only 2 short months away! Dig out the barbeques, dust off the grilling tools, and get the fires ready for some YUMMY WILD Copper River Salmon! Cordova, home of the Copper River Wild Salmon is not only a bustling commercial fishing town, it's a gorgeous place to visit with spectacular mountains and even nicer local folk! Alaska Air has GREAT deals, so stop on by!

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Copper River Salmon is considered a very good quality fish.

This fish at beginning of the run season as high as $60/lb for a King filet, $30/lb sockeye filet at the Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Yukon River King is also considered high quality salmon at a far cheaper price.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Yukon River Kings are great! even better, they are cheaper and do not carry along with them all the hype :)

Lalala likes this.
  4. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    More important than the source is the type of salmon. General consensus among Alaskans I know is that reds are the best, followed by kings, pinks (sockeye) and chinook. You can find the run schedule at Alaska Fish & Game, but of course, the fish have their own schedule!;)

5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Red Salmon are Sockeye Salmon.

http://www.fishex.com/seafood/salmon/alaska-salmon.html

/

6. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ehh, alright I stand corrected. I was just trying to equate lower 48 names for the salmon. No real Alaskan calls them anything but reds, pinks, silvers or kings. Those other names are too fancy for us. Whatever you catch it will good eating (at least that what I get served from my wife).

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is coho salmon? Is it the same as chinook?

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how many other die hard grillers there are, we just had a brutal winter in Chicago & I grilled numerous times per week.

I'm thinking this thread would be better suited to the dining forum: http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/general-discussion-dining.10/

I am very happy the season is coming up, love my cedar plank grilled salmon!!

ahow628 likes this.
  9. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was grilling on the back deck all winter in Indy because I couldn't give it up. I got an infrared grill last fall and I love it.

I've got a couple of seasoned alder and cedar planks ready to go. Now I just need some pretty red salmon to go on them. I miss being in Seattle.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I lived in Tacoma from 2002-2006 and in my first summer up there I had to have eaten salmon 4-5 times/week because it was sooooo delicious! I settled down after my first month.

I think my favorite preparation is to score the fillet every 3" with a knife, stuff the slits with coarsely chopped fresh garlic, and some basil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper across the fillet. Drizzle some lemon juice and olive oil on top and grill on indirect heat for maybe 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness. YUM!!!!! Even the skin is tasty!!! :D

11. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Local (Alaska/Pacific NW) terminology for Pacific salmon species:

Chinook < > King
    Coho < > Silver
    Sockeye < > Red
    Pink < > Humpy
    Chum < > Dog

I agree about the hype over the Copper River fish. Have a read... http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010630&slug=copper30

Personally, IMO the best salmon is a nice 10 lb. Silver caught with a Pixee near Big Eddy on the Kenai River, cleaned, cavity stuffed with lemon and Walla Walla onion slices, wrapped in foil and thrown onto the campfire for a little while.

euromannn likes this.