Copay with cash and miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First I moved 70k to my OP account from my UA account so I could match my status with CO
    Have booked flights SEA EWR TLV EWR SFO YVR.
    UA has already upgraded me EWR SFO YVR to first. Used cr1's for this
    For the upgrade to BF with CO I needed 70K plus $1050.00
    Called CO the agent looked at the file and said no problem.
    She told me the miles would be taken out of the account immediately and my credit card would also be charged immediately, if the upgrades did not confirm, the miles and cash would be credited back to each of the accounts.
    Now, she says my flight from SEA to EWR has been already upgraded to BF and the two EWR TLV EWR flights are waitlisted, no problem. So the question I asked her and she was just a bit hesitant in answering, was, if the two upgrades that are waitlisted do not clear to BF would I loose any miles or cash for the already upgraded SEA EWR BF. She told me no it would be a free ride, because the waitlisted flights may not clear until I reach the gate. I just don't want to spend miles and cash for a flight from SEA to EWR, when I can get the UDU perhaps. Should I call back and have them delete the upgrade SEA to EWR or just leave it as it is?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leave it as is. You should get the miles and cash back if the outbound BF segment doesn't clear. The SEA-EWR segment is domestic first, not BF, so the rules are a tad different.

sfo1 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO policy is that you only pay if the "good" upgrades clear on a BF itinerary. You'll get the refund if they don't and the other segment is a freebie.

The UA policy is that ANY segment clearing counts against the whole upgrade. This is one of many things where the future policy must be aligned and for which we are waiting with bated breath (or, ya know, just waiting) to find out what the merged policy will be.

Flyer1976 and sfo1 like this.
  4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. yes I know about the UA policy, thought perhaps CO was the same, won't touch a thing, will just do a lot praying;)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could you have used SWUs for TLV? Just curious if your ticket was W+ Fare

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I could use SWU's, booked in V and W but I understand from reading posts, that the EWR TLV EWR is a hard one for SWU's, so rather than take the chance I am just going to bite the bullet.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know that this was the policy. I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG tomorrow AM (just checked in), and I opted for miles+copay upgrade (30k + $600). The LAX-SFO segment cleared a while ago, but not the SFO-HKG leg. Since I'm 1P, I always get the domestic upgrade through CDU, but should I mention this to someone at the check-in desk tomorrow? Or call UA reservations? I don't want to get charged 30k miles and $600 for an upgrade to domestic first for a 55 minute flight.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

It is the same risk. If it doesn't clear then you get the instrument (SWU or $$+miles) back. It is just a matter of how you are paying.

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe sfo1 is saying that SWUs are lower priority than miles+copay?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is most certainly not the case on CO metal today.

11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, then what is the consensus? Should I withdraw the copay and miles and go with the SWU's, the only problem is I will be out of the country until mid Jan so I would not be able to apply the SWU's until I get back, don't think there is anyway to apply them from Europe, and does it not go also by date of application?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the date of request is used as a tie-breaker after status level so that might affect you if you do not have the SWUs in hand right now.

As for not being able to request it from Europe, I have no idea what you are talking about. Either the website or the call center are both available in Europe the same as they are in the USA.

sfo1 likes this.
  13. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will keep it as is, because I will use all 6 SWU's in the coming year anyway, so down the line I would need to upgrade using copay and miles. One other quick question. When I called CO and they did the work for the copay and miles they automatically upgraded the SEA EWR, but if the copay and miles from EWR to TLV do no clear, am I liable for the copay and miles from SEA to EWR, if so I will call them and have them cancel that segment, as I can try for the upgrade using the UDU, I certainly don't want to be charged 35k and $500.00 for SEA EWR

14. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    11/23 flight 869 has plenty of seats availible:
    F9 J9 C9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9T9 L9 K9 G9 A9 D9 Z9 E0
    and only 3 people on the waitlist for C:

1. MAD , M Business
    2. WON , P Business
    3. NGA , E Business
    You should be all set.

In the future, call and request the upgrade be applied to only the overwater legs until that clears, then call back and extend it to the domestic legs. (You can't do this online)

genemk2 likes this.
  15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for the reply. Hopefully everything clears -- I'm the #3, but I expect the list to grow a bit more as more and more people check in (we are 24+ hrs from departure right now). Fingers crossed!!

What tool did you use to see seat availability? Thanks!

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should clear into NC tomorrow with 26 C available at the moment, I can't access the actual Upgrade Waitlist from home but it looks kosher :D Enjoy Hong Kong.

genemk2 likes this.
  17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you too!! Was worried that I would have to go without AVOD for 15 hours!

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Under CO policy if only the non-BF segments clear then you get the payment refunded.

sfo1 and genemk2 like this.
  19. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expert Flyer. I think the better question is what tool did DIG/R_1K use to see the exact number of seats for sale? Unless I need to be hired by an airline to see that, I want that tool!

20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say but I might suggest a future career in the Airline Industry.