Copa's Mileage Earning Policy Post 3/1/2015

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jun 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard from Copa's Director of Loyalty Programs today, and he has requested that I share this information with you here.

Important quotes from his reply:

1. Regarding your question of CM launching its own frequent flyer I can tell you that we are always evaluating our options in hopes of bringing the most value to our customers and stakeholders. As of now, there is no relevant news to share with you on that front, but be sure that you will be one of the persons I will contact in case we do.

2. On UA program changes for 2015 I can tell you the following:
    1) Most earnings on CM will be based on distance flown as it is today.
    2) Activity on CM with a ticket sold through a UA channel (WEB, Call Center etc) will earn based on revenue.Read into his comments about their departure from M+ what you will. It is obviously not off the table.​

The good news for now is that Copa flights purchased directly from them won't be affected. Combine that with their 125% PQM policy, and it is a very good thing for value conscious travelers.

For those buying expensive Copa tickets and wanting the revenue system instead of the mileage-based system, it's very easy to do. Simply go to united.com, look for award tickets, choose the Copa flights, then instead of completing the purchase with miles, look for the purchase options that come up with your itinerary confirmation page. united.com won't show you many Copa flights otherwise, if they show them at all.

Keep in mind that tickets purchased anywhere other than direct from Copa do not earn the PQM bonus, so that would likely be something to consider in balancing the better of the two options. It has been my personal experience that they don't always price the same, either. UA often has them cheaper than direct from CM. That can be a consideration for both value shoppers and those seeking maximum RDMs.

snod08, Garp74, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received an update from Copa tonight. Here is the juicy part:

1. Will all tickets continue to earn 100% of actual miles flown?
    Tickets sold by UA and flown on CM will earn based on revenue (fare), all other tickets (ie sold by CM, agencies, etc) and flown by CM will earn base on flown miles (100% plus bonuses).

1. Will the Premier Status bonuses (i.e.: 100% bonus for 1K) remain intact for the 2015 calendar year?
    Yes.

TAHKUCT, Flyer1976, snod08 and 2 others like this.