COPA offer to achieve Premier Silver faster

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adrianors, Feb 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

Just to share with you all what I just received from Copa..

"
    You are important to us and that’s why at Copa Airlines we want you to enjoy the Premier benefits in all of your flights.

Earn Premier Silver status and 5,000 additional award miles when flying a minimum of 6 segments, domestic or international, with Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia between February 1 and March 31 of 2014.

Register for this promotion entering the promotional code TB9M65 and your MileagePlus number:
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...2014Attr&SID=D84A1F38A7234B0CBD0AF98C0CF7805D
    "
    Apparently this offer is targeted since I tried to use my wife's MileagePlus number in this offer and the website didn't accept..
    Copa was also giving 25% bonus miles for every flight and those miles would count towards Premier Status.. It is interesting that United is not doing the same since they are in the same program and that would probably attract more costumers to stay with them after US leaves *A.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a nice offer for the Silver and 5000 bonus miles. If one can fly 6 Copa segments in 59 days, it's likely that an even higher status will be achieved later in the year. I guess that depends on the segments, but it's a nice offer no matter what.

The 25% bonus PQMs have been available on Copa for the last few years. As a result, they have become the preferred airline for many of us who live in Latin America, both expats and locals alike. They also offer CPU/RPU availability to Premiers on all of their flights, while UA has eliminated northern South America from CPU/RPU availability as of February 1, 2014. (Is it just me, or did that date seem to arrive really, really fast?)

The downside is that intra-Latin American international flights are generally quite expensive. If you don't happen to live in Panama, you will find yourself having to connect there for almost every flight to North America, and many within Latin America. That also means no non-stops or lay-flats for those traveling from South America to North America. Copa has some pretty comfy J seats on many flights to North America, though, and I personally find the food and service to be superior to UA overall.

adrianors likes this.
  3. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ken, I've only flown Copa a few times but found PTY the easiest intl. transit airport ever because the whole terminal is treated as "transit"....no need to go through any checkpoints, customs, etc. during the connection. I'd count that as one of the advantages.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed except they do strictly enforce the 3-1-1 rule prior to boarding a flight to the USA at the Gate.

adrianors likes this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree. The only reason I listed it as a downside is that many people may want a non-stop as opposed to a connection. If one must connect anyway, PTY is the best place to do it, with SAL number 2 on my list.

True, but I've never flown out of any Latin American location with a flight bound for the USA that did not have a secondary boarding inspection prior to departure.

I've found SAL to be the most thorough (downright invasive) with their manual inspections. I had an agent try to take away my nail clippers (no file) a couple of weeks ago. A supervisor corrected her after I insisted that those were legal, and she then took great pleasure in messing up the organization of both bags. Other than that, SAL is an easy connection point that also requires no immigration or customs clearance.