Copa lounge in YUL

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by igloocoder, Jun 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what lounge Copa is using in Montreal?

My experience in YUL is that the International MLL only opens 120 min before the first International AC flight which appears to be sometime in the afternoon. We, unfortunately, found this out the hard way after we asked at the Domestic MLL and were told it was open only to enter the International area and find it wasn't....and there's no way back to Domestic. At that time it wasn't that big of a deal because there was the Amex Lounge which I had access to. Now that lounge is Mastercard though...and I don't have access to that via a card.

So do they use the Mastercard lounge or, possibly, the Air France (?) lounge? We'd be connecting so if anyone knows if either of those lounges is used, do they require a sticker on the boarding pass? If so does anyone know how to get one without leaving the secure area?

2. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    With our trip looming I finally tried to get more info out of Copa about this. What a nightmare on the phone. Language wasn't (or at least didn't seem to me to be) an issue, but the questions weren't understood for some reason.

Q1: What lounge does Copa use in YUL?
    A1: Copa doesn't have a lounge in YUL
    Q2: I understand that. What lounge does Copa send business class passengers to in YUL?
    A2: If you have an Air Canada card you can get into the Air Canada lounge.
    Q3: I understand that but the Air Canada lounge isn't open when your flight departs. What arrangements do you make for lounge access for your business class passengers that check-in at YUL? Are they sent to the Mastercard lounge or the Air France lounge or something else.
    A3: You are able to use any Star Alliance lounge
    Q4: I understand that. In MVD, for example there is no Star Alliance or Copa lounge. When you check-in at MVD business class passengers are given an invitation to the VIP lounge. Does Copa do something similar in YUL?
    A4: We don't do anything like that in either location.

At this point I knew that I was getting nowhere. They didn't even know what the airport operations were doing at long established out stations. So our plan now is to hit the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge when we deplane and, fingers crossed, the batshit crazy dragons won't deny us access because "you should be using the international lounge". If they do the Air Canada desk is just down the hall so I'll see if they can call up the Copa checkin desk out front to figure out what lounge we're supposed to use.

Really the only reason for us to use the lounge is to get a quiet place for the kid to do his morning diabetes routine plus get a bit of milk for his cereal. I suppose we can try to get some milk before deplaning as well to mitigate issues. I don't think we need any special treatment from Copa. This is planning and risk mitigation that we need to do ourselves to be healthy and safe. It is disappointing that Copa can't help us with information that they have though.