Copa IAD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adrianors, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys, I am flying to Brazil (GIG) with COPA leaving from IAD next month, any tips to have a more comfortable trip? Flying with my wife and daughter (baby). Also.. Any idea if they will complicate my life since I don't have a light stroller but a heavy one? Thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take snacks, especially for the baby. Otherwise you're at the mercy of in-flight service (which isn't bad, but isn't on your schedule if you're in Economy). Especially with a wife and child, if you can secure United Club passes it's well worth getting to the airport ahead of time just to not start everything at a frantic pace. Nothing special per se in the club, just the peace of mind of knowing you're at the airport and not having to be in the hustle and bustle of the terminal.

I don't know about strollers, especially heavy vs. light, but will need to soon so I'll watch to see what other responses are posted.

Newscience and adrianors like this.
  3. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the advice, I got the club passes and I'll wait until somebody tells me something about the stroller.. I'm in the waiting list for an upgrade but being silver leaves me probably as the last person in their list ..

Newscience likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Copa flies from Terminal B; the UClubs are in C/D. Not worth the commute IMO. I'd rather just sit at one of the restaurants in the terminal or even at the gate.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Assume since you're flying Copa that your connecting at PTY. It's a fairly modern airport with a decent amount of food options, though there was quite a bit of construction when I was there in March. There's a United club there if you happen to be a member. For flights coming back to the US from PTY, they will re-screen you at the gate and take away any water you might have bought. They did make an exception for us and allow one bottle through for our infant son.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but with a wife and kid and a train between terminals, it's not a bad option, especially if you're early enough to keep everyone happy.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meh...the train mean riding from check-in out to C, walking all the way back to the terminal and then over to the club where it is not necessarily going to be particularly quiet or sparse. Then, when ready to go back to A the long walk again, train back and back out to the gate area.

Or just camp out in one of the many gates down by where Copa leaves from which are often unoccupied during the day. If the OP is on the morning departure out of IAD the adjacent gates are, IME, quite underused and there is way more space to spread out and relax than in the lounge. Camp out a couple doors down or even just across the hall, depending on what the actual gate use is that morning and it'll be more convenient and probably calmer than in the club.

Put another way, what does the club offer to make it compelling? Certainly not the F&B. IAD has free wifi so that's not particularly compelling either. And the agents aren't going to be much help if there are IRROPs.

flyforawg, Newscience and adrianors like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. More than happy to defer to your experience. :)

Anyone know about strollers? We're hoping to be in the market soon...

9. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you two for the help and discussion, very instructive and helpful. In my way back I am going to have a 7 hour layover, by myself (wife and daughter will spent one extra month in the beaches down in Brazil.. :( ), in DC and then head to CLT.. One of my club passes, since I'll be flying united, goes to stay from midnight until 7am in a more comfortable place then the terminal itself, I don't think is worth to go to a hotel for a couple hours of sleep.. But any idea about the strollers situation?
    About the trip to Brazil I guess the best thing to do will be enjoy the hhonors gold and have a good breakfast at the hotel and then go straight to the terminal.. Maybe in PTY I'll stop by the united club. :)

Newscience likes this.
  10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a heads up to check the hours of the club, as most domestic clubs are closed during the wee hours & open @ 4:30 or 5am, depending on flights.

Newscience, adrianors and Mike Reed like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That could be a problem. The clubs there close at 9:30/10:00 and don't re-open until 5:00 AM.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/locations/default.aspx

12. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked on the COPA site & it does reference strollers here.

Newscience likes this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to eliminate any confusion, the club at PTY is actually a Copa Club, with the words, "In Partnership with United Airlines" under the name. If you are looking for a UC, this could cause some unnecessary confusion. It is upstairs off to the far end of the food court.

The Copa Club at PTY has the same lousy food as the UCs in the USA, so don't count on it for any real nourishment.

14. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! By the way, can I get in the Copa Club with a UC pass?

Newscience likes this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you can use a UC pass there. I know that my UC membership gives me access to any Copa Club. It would seem rather odd if that co-branding didn't work with a pass, but you might want to check with Copa if that's what you are relying on for entry. I say this just to eliminate any "day of" disappointment.

Do you have any status on UA? I believe that you need status to qualify for club entry simply with any international ticket purchase.

16. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully will work with the Day Pass.. And yes I do, currently Silver Premier. Hoping to go gold next year if I don't switch to AA since my airport is CLT. I've never been in a UC club, but if they work like DL.. As long as you pay.. You're in..

Newscience likes this.
  17. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Book a room at a local hotel and get 4-5 hours of sleep.

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  19. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they have anything at the airport? Just to avoid taking a shuttle and loosing one hour of sleep.. Before the flight to Brazil I'll stay at the hilton but if I'm not wrong is like 3 miles from the airport.

Newscience likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing on the airport grounds; you'll need a shuttle/taxi.

21. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess its time to spend one of the Marriott 1-4 cat certificates.. Thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    IIRC, it's also a bit of a ride to the closest hotel. Probably in the neighborhood of 15 mins.

Newscience likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can certainly echo this. IAD is my home airport. If you haven't been in the clubs, they're really nothing special. No great views of active runways. Low ceilings, dark clubs. Certainly not worth switching terminals for. They're fine in a pinch but the B terminal has nicer food options and generally isn't so crowded that you can't find a comfortable place to hang out. I thought I'd miss the Admirals Club when it closed in B. Don't get me wrong, I do. But, it's certainly easier to sweat an hour in B than in C or D.

24. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with Pizzaman with a sole exception: the Lufthansa lounge, where you actually can get hot and cold food, rather than just pretzels and carrot sticks, and also have a view of the planes and runways. ;)

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I didn't suggest the LH lounge for one reason. I've tried a handful of times to get in to that lounge with more than one guest when I was traveling with my family. I've been successful a time or two in getting them to admit me with one guest, never with 2 (wife and daughter). OP might have luck with a newborn, but I've gotten the big "FU, please and thank you" from the folks running the door at the LH club in B.

Newscience likes this.