Copa and the New MileagePlus

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have expressed in other threads that my primary concern with the announced changes is the loss of CPU and RPU availability from northern South America. In particular, I was perplexed by the fact that Copa flights SJO-PTY-MCO/MIA were eligible, but Copa flights MDE-PTY-MCO/MIA were not. It's the same distance.

Under the rules as presented to us, even the short flights between northern South America and Central America will not be eligible for CPU or RPU. That is the literal interpretation when one considers that the Panama-Colombia border is the dividing line between the North and South Americas.

This morning I wrote to the CEO of Copa to get this confirmed. Pedro Heilbron is like the anti-Smisek. I got a personal reply today. He did not have the answers, but promised to have someone who does know get back with me promptly.

Literally 10 minutes later, I received a reply from Copa's Director of Loyalty Programs. I'm very pleased to report that he assured me that the changes UA has made to the MileagePlus program do not affect Copa Airlines.

The most striking statement from his email is, "If you are a Premier MileagePlus member flying on any Copa operated flight you will be eligible for a CPU." So on Copa Airlines, northern South America to anywhere they fly in the USA is still CPU eligible. RPUs are also available, but only by phoning UA's MileagePlus desk. That could prove to be interesting! ;)

I really enjoy flying on Copa. One of the reasons is their CPU availability for 1Ks. I was just concerned about flying into FL, but this means UGs for everywhere they fly. So UA will still get my domestic USA business, but from now on I'll be flying CM to get to my gateway city.

This clarification email came late in the day, so I did not receive a reply to my request to copy and paste the contents. If he gives me the approval, I'll be happy to share it here promptly.

Ecuabuck, adrianors, 8MiHi and 12 others like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Picture1.jpg Common sense prevailed! Well done.

3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ken, thanks for this. As you know I routinely fly CM and this clarification is welcome and helpful. Thanks for reporting back to us, the pax.

As for @PedroH, I do agree with you. He is responsive and considers the commentary carefully. In fact I just filled out my customs declaration here @ EWR a few mins ago using the Cross pen that he sent last Christmas.

He's also doing something about the J cabin on the 738s - more like TK arrangement I hear. Have any of you CM regulars ridden on one of these beasts yet?

Garp74 likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are talking about the new seats with foot rests, IFE, lumbar support, etc., then yes, I have flown them. They aren't lay flay, but they are darned comfortable. Someone on TOBB said that they are using those on the longer haul flights, so that's great news for those of us planning to move all future North American access to Copa.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The planes with the nicer seats typically operate on GRU, GIG & SCL going south and LAX & occasionally JFK going north.

6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coincidentally to this thread, on my IAD->SEA flight last night, I talked with a Boeing employee who parties with Pedro. She said he truly cares about running a quality airline and he's a fantastic guy to be around.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty obvious to me that any CEO who takes the time to personally reply to a customer email is one who cares about running a good airline. It almost certainly has to be his passion. Even as a 1K, I'm not GS, and I'm sure he can quickly see via my MP member number that the vast majority of my miles to date have been earned on UA metal.

O course I'm not some nut who writes to him every time a FA has a bad attitude. I'm sure he has his limits. This is only the second time I have done so, and the first was well over a year ago and with just cause. I was a little bit hesitant to report my experience, as I think that one should only resort to this measure when no other options exist. Last time I wrote to him, I had exhausted every option available to me to resolve a very legitimate problem. This time I was finding blank stares from every Copa employee I spoke with. They were not even aware that any changes had taken place. I have travel to book, and I couldn't wait for the information to trickle down if I wanted to make informed decisions.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying COPA to Brazil mid December.. Hopefully will get a CPU!!

9. Ecuabuck

Ecuabuck Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for checking. That is great news. My home airport is UIO and the flight from UIO to IAH is not worth burning a GPU unless you have no other place to use them. They are far more worthwhile on longer flights with better facilities such as the TATL flights.