Cool Xmas Gift Idea Really Cheap with UA Miles: Canon 16.0 Megapixel Digital Camera

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out this deal!

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS,16.0 Megapixel Digital Camera with 4GB SD Card

17,800 Award Miles Price includes delivery
    62,400 Award Miles
    71% off!

It gets even better because if you are 1K (could be true for other elites as well) the award miles price drops even further once you log in.

For me the final number of RDMs was 12,700!

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is a great deal. The Amazon price is about $240, making this redemption 1.9 cents per mile.

NYCUA1K and Sean Colahan like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Super deal; too great, in fact, to last. Now clicking the link to the merchandise returns: 'We apologize, the selected award is no longer available in the Store.'

Considering that the deal lasted thru Black Friday, that it got snatched like hot cup cake seems to be the result of posting the link here ;).

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the things I do consider in using miles (or gift certificates or store credits) for warrantied items is the lack of credit card protection. I like knowing that I have Purchase Protection, Extended Warranty, etc. So, even with my Amazon credit card, I redeem the points only for books, movie rentals, etc. -- nothing I need the backing of VISA M/C for.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A case can definitely be made for caution when purchasing things like consumer electronics. However, for this digital camera, there was really little to worry about since (a) both the retailer (UA) and the OEM (Canon) are mainstream brand names with a reputation to protect, (b) it stated up front that this camera would come with the standard limited warranty that Canon issues with all of their products; I in fact just received the camera yesterday and it came packaged like anything else that you'd buy from a top name like Canon (it is a Canon product in every respect), and, importantly, (c) the price was right -- I am sitting on more than 0.250M redeemable miles, with a bunch more to get where those came from, so that the benefit-to-risk ratio of spending just 12,700 miles for this product was virtually infinite (i.e., there was no risk to speak of because I would not have regretted these miles if the product turned out to be junk, which, having now seen it, is not how I would describe this camera -- in fact, I am sorry I just ordered one instead of several more when I had the chance!)