Cool, there will still be some Star Alliance partners to earn points from after March

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Dec 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an email from US Airway, and I just wanted to highlight a couple of things that were in the message:

There are a few important changes to keep in mind for future travel:
    [​IMG] We'll be exiting Star Alliance on March 30, 2014. You'll be able to earn and redeem Dividend Miles on Star Alliance carriers until that date. Any existing reservations for travel on a codeshare flight with a Star Alliance partner after March 30, 2014 are safe, however, you'll be rebooked with a new flight number from the carrier operating the flight and you'll no longer earn Dividend Miles or receive Star Alliance Gold or Silver benefits.
    [​IMG] Since the legal close of our merger with American on December 9, 2013, we no longer offer codeshare flights for sale with United Airlines. When we exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014, we will no longer offer codeshare flights for sale with Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa or SWISS. Any existing reservations are safe, but you will not earn Dividend Miles for flights on these carriers after March 30, 2014.
    [​IMG] We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, so you can continue to earn and redeem Dividend Miles on these select partners even after we've exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.
    [​IMG] US Airways customers with Star Alliance Gold status will no longer have access to Star Alliance lounges after March 30, 2014.

So, much of it is logical, you are not going to be able to have status on any Star Alliance airlines, but you can still fly on a bunch of Star Alliance planes with your points and earn some too.

gaijin62 likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn it all.

I made a reservation for Brazil on TAM instead of US Airways in early March since I was worried the cut-off date would come earlier and I wouldn't be able to credit to Aegean. Not only did the exit get set at the end, not the beginning, of March but I could have continued to earn on Aegean anyway!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not clear to me that you'd earn status miles on those partners after March 30.

4. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's true, I don't know that you would earn Status Miles, I was thinking the benefit was that you could still redeem miles on the partner airlines. So if I wanted to go to South Africa, I could still use my points to buy a South African airlines flight with my US airways points for the near future.