Cool Infographic: The Past, Present, and Future of Airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The graphic may be a little misleading because it doesn't cover the portion of airline revenues and/or profits related to ancillary fees and/or frequent flier programs. Otherwise it's very informative!

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, I'd add, the impression that no mergers have ever been rejected is also misleading. Perhaps no outright denials, but plenty of give-ups, divestitures, promises made to gain an approval. (i.e., gates, routes, revenue opportunities)

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you don't use the links above if don't have a strong antivirus coverage. My Trend OfficeScan is flaging inbound attack to be Very Dangerous on the pages linked to!

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your trend micro is lying to you. ESET found nothing and Google hasn't flagged the page.

6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just want to quote what PCMag says about ESET in their 2013 test of antivirus tools: 'It's good at what it does, but others are great.'

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

From industry experience, they're all the same - relatively worthless but a good backstop. False positives like this one are a good example of why. Any threats anymore are "zero day," meaning they're brand new compromises not yet detectable. Without getting too far off topic look at companies like FireEye to see what next-gen threat detection looks like. My advice to companies, now, is don't spend money on antivirus - use Windows Essentials because it's free (and, statistically, works just as well) and spend that money on APT protection, instead. Much better bang for the buck.

Disclaimer: I don't sell FireEye, I'm not an investor, and I'm not a partner. I do have friends there.

Edit to add: If you have any doubt, use Trend's own tool to check the website: http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

At the time of this post it comes up as "Safe," further validating the false positive from desktop software.