Convince me to fly Virgin!

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by bakedpatato, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming that I'm going to be flying a lot more SAN-SFO in the future,(I've done it once on VX and once on Skywest+QX SAN-LAX-SFO)and I would rather not take the Big Blue and Purple Bus to get there. And I love the hard product on VX but I still have some misgivings about Elevate (as VX isn't part of an alliance, no free upgs, no baggage wavers, heck no tiers at all) .
    So tell me I'm not crazy in wanting to be loyal to VX. [​IMG]

cmoz likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown VX 3 times now. For VX, it isn't about the loyalty you are generally familiar with. It is more like living in the moment that you are paying for, with maybe some possible payout of something later, but not like a real pot of gold. I've had 3 west coast hops - 2 in MCS, 1 in F. I figure they'll end up with some sort of limited status perks, but nothing like the majors have given us. I'll likely continue to fly them from time to time.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying VX in two weeks SEA/LAX only because I can't tolerate paying twice as much to sit in a regional jet for 3 hours on UA. I don't expect to shift my loyalty overall, but this is one route where I don't have any motivation to stick with UA.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the purpose of your travel is to cash in on the "big win" award then the Elevate program is the wrong one to be in. If you are comfortable paying the asking rate for your travel and maybe getting a bit of a rebate somewhere down the line and you like the VX product then fly with them. It is very similar to B6 and a bit like WN in that regard. There are some quirks that can be exploited in the B6 program but not many. I don't know enough about elevate to know if they have anything similar but I do not think that they do.

5. nermaljcat
    Original Member

nermaljcat Active Member

Status Points:
    Try VX on your next trip and you should be able to convince yourself (or not).

You're paying a fair price for a good product rather than a mediocre product + carrot (that is given to those best at gaming the system anyway). With VX, you have more control over what you get for your money.

Just keep in mind that, like all other airlines, VX is not immune to the odd bad experience...

Hope this helps.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not crazy. Some people accept crappy RJs or turboprops as the penalty to fly in TATL F every so often. Some people would rather spend that time from an RJ on a nicer plane short haul, even if it means they won't get to turn left as often. It's not crazy to consider ALL the hours you spend in a metal tube, not just the ones where they lavish Krug on you.

7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm , my well of KE miles is still relatively full and they don't block AF F redemptions.
    And barbiejets are no fun, and cost almost as much as a ride on Steven Colbert sometimes (DL i'm lookin at you SAN-LAX):rolleyes:...
    I guess I'm not that crazy then :)
    It is spoiling to be an elite in a "real" FFP or even in a crappy one like HA's...No baggage fees, priority boarding,lounges....
    Hmm...It does. I have an MCS coming up in a couple of weeks SAN-SFO....and after my ride on Canada's Finest...I'm thinking VX sounds nice. Plus the fare ain't too bad.
    I wish the FAs were a bit more personable on VX....

8. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    VX isn't a bad product at all for what you're paying, especially for coach/main cabin in America. It's probably one of the better airlines running in the US at the moment. I flew SAN-SFO last October and was genuinely impressed at the product they are offering. They made it fun to fly main cabin again.

The problem is that Elevate isn't the best in terms of frequent flyer programs. Main Cabin accrues 1 point per 2 miles flown, and while the redemptions aren't bad for lower levels it seems that you have to work harder to accrue points. Most of my VX points are earned through Joie de Vivre and not actually flying VX. (JdV's club is good for VX points if you stay in hotels in and around SFO.) I think only AGR is worse when trying to accrue points (no fault of Amtrak). But it looks like you can earn points by flying the other Virgin products as well. I can't say anything about redemptions though.

I would continue to fly UA to SFO if I had status there, but if you see yourself going to destinations VX serves often it's definitely worth it to use the carrier.