Converting PQM for Premier Status

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JRad, Jan 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. JRad

JRad New Member

Status Points:
    I have over 75,000 PQMs from business use of my Presidential Plus Card. My current Platinum Premiere status expires January 31, 2014. If I convert the 75,000 on February 1, will the status last all the way through January 31, 2016 or just Jan 31 2015?

I have read conflicting posts about this and want to maximize the premier benefits.

Thanks for anyone's help in advance :)

8MiHi likes this.
  2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    are you talking about Flexible premier qualifying miles?
    what is your current status level?
    If you convert the Flex miles you will attain premier platinum status for the 2014 calendar year (through end Jan 2015)
    the highest level of attainment flex miles can get you to is premier platinum

3. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since he would be applying them in 2014, won't he get Platinum status for all of this year and next (through the end of Jan 2016) if he converts them now?

So I would say through the end of Jan 2016.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    I don't understand it that way but I'm sure someone else can verify...calling Seth?.?. . . . .

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    PQMs added to my account today count for status in the program year 2015 (which ends at the end of January 2016). If I reach enough PQM for a higher level than I currently hold prior to the end of the year of 2014, I get that new level early. I don't think it matters whether I get the PQMs via flying, via Premier Accelerator, via Chase Select United.com purchases or via Flex PQM transfers.

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're wrong. :p

But I also am not certain. I've never had FlexPQMs and I never will.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  7. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    The difference is, flex miles don't count towards anything until you physically apply them

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but once you apply them they are just like any other PQMs earnt, with the exception that they do not count towards 1K status. So if I earn 75K PQMs in February 2014 then I have status through January 2016. And applying them is what I believe is considered the "earn" act in this context.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Note the term "Flex PQM transfers" in my message. They are "Flex PQMs" (a different "currency" than actual PQMs) until you transfer them, then they are part of your current PQM balance. At least that's how I understand it. Never had Flex PQMs.

10. JRad

JRad New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, these are Flexible PQMs from Credit Card Spending on Chase Presidential Plus. I'm currently Platinum, but that expires on January 31, 2014. So I was thinking of applying them to 2014 (I have a choice when I act like I'm about to apply them between 2013 and 2014).

I called Mileage Plus and the rep said that if I apply them in the 3rd or 4th Quarter it would go all the way to 2016, but that would leave me with no status from Feb 1 to July 1. The rep didn't sound like she knew what she was talking about, though...

11. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    Personally I'd, apply them now, get a jump and then after 25,000 bis miles you'll be 1k

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, unfortunately not. 1K needs to be reached with 100k non-Flex-PQM-originated PQMs. They only count for status up to Platinum.

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    . I'm jumping out of the conversation on this one as I don't have specifics but I don't think that's the case...either way...the OP will attain platinum immediately versus having to fly 75k bis miles...

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The bold part is true.

But see http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/qualify.aspx?Mobile=1

(underlining added by me)

Earning PQM with the MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card

Existing MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card members can use the card to accelerate their progress towards Premier status. Cardmembers can convert their Flexible Premier qualifying miles (Flex PQM) into Premier qualifying miles that count towards Premier status. Please note that Flex PQM may only be used to reach Premier Silver, Premier Gold or Premier Platinum status and do not count toward qualification for any higher status level. Flex PQM may not be combined with Premier qualifying miles to obtain Premier 1K status or to earn additional Premier upgrades.

2The MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card is no longer available to new applicants.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope. :(

8MiHi likes this.
  16. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    Seth...like you I've never used them so I don't know..."waves white flag"

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. cckevinm

cckevinm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied 50K flexible miles on 2/3/2014 and just received my gold status card today in mail - expires on 1/31/2015. I was hoping until 1/31/2016 but that is not the case.

8MiHi likes this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just because the card expires doesn't mean the status does. As an original Presidential Plus Card holder who has gone over all of the material on FPQMs I have no doubt that you are now Gold through January 2016 and the OP will be Platinum through January 2016 if the OP applies 75K miles. I expect you will see your PQM count towards 2015 status will include your FPQMs as the year progresses. There will likely be a footnote distinguishing between the types of PQMs in the account.
    When applied the FPQMs are only different from earned PQMs in that they do not count towards 1K or MM status. I have not been informed of any further change in how they work other than the 2012 change limiting their use to Platinum or lower and removal from MM count. The PQD requirement is waived up to Platinum as well.
    Remember that FPQMs earned before 2012 will never expire as long as you have your card and are a member of MileagePlus. Further, they use LIFO accounting so your old miles are the last to be used. Newer FPQMs expire after three years.
    It might be worth it for the OP to consider not using the miles earned pre-2012 at this time, perhaps going for Silver or Gold to get status and flying up to Platinum. This would preserve some FPQMs for 2016 status. Of course there is no telling when this program will be terminated.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A card issued this early in the year will always be for just the current program year. Don't read anything in to that.

8MiHi likes this.