converting discount codes to AP miles?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Jasper2009, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just wondering, is it possible to convert discount codes (received as compensation from AC customer service, usually 5%/10%/15%) into miles?

I know that some other airlines give you a choice of let´s say 10% off / $150 off or 10k miles as compensation, but I don´t think AC has a set procedure for this, does it?

If not, has anyone been successful in calling AC and ask for the code to be converted?

2. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's never even crossed my mind that one could ask for miles instead of x% off. Guess I need to get out of my box a little more often eh? :)

Obviously this is speculation but I think from AC's perspective they would rather give out the 5% off codes since 5% off base fare typically amounts to not very much.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the value of one Aeroplan mile?

4. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 dollars of gas at Esso?

milchap likes this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to compare 5% off and x number of Aeroplan miles to see which is the better compensation deal.

illico likes this.
  6. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. That's why I think AC would rather give away 5% off codes. On a $1000 base fare you'd only save $50. How many points could you get with $50?

Anyway to answer the question directly - what is the value of 1 AP mile - I think the answer is "it depends".

7. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally find the 5% off codes an insult as the discount codes only apply to the base fare and therefore effectively mean you get 2%-3% discount.

However, the advantage of these discount codes is that they usually have few restrictions (can be used on any roundtrip with no black-out dates) and are often valid for up to 4 passengers on the same itinerary. Therefore it shouldn´t be too hard to get $50-$100 of value out of a 5% off cert.

In my opinion it would be fair to be have the opportunity to exchange a 5% off cert for 5k miles, a 10% off cert for 10k miles etc.

8. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally value AP miles at about 1.5-1.7 cpm, and I guess most FFs would agree with a valuation in the 1.2-2.0 cpm range.

I´d consider a 5% = 5k miles exchange rate a fair deal...