Convertible rental for under 25's - West Coast

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wijomas, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this - though as it's not one company specific didn't know where else to put it! :p

I'm looking for a convertible (preferably Mustang) for Oct 10 - 22, with unlimited mileage and full insurance, for a driver under 25 (23). Ideally I'd like to pay under $800, and pick up and drop off the car from/to LAX. However, I'm happy to pick up from any city close to the West Coast, and return to LAX.

So far the cheapest I've found is Alamo LAS for $700 plus a $25/day surcharge for under $25, bringing the total to $1000.

Anyone have any tips?

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four in no particular order. Mrs Sweet Willie is a huge fan of the top down, so I'm very keen I trying to get one for her when we are on vaca in a sunny/warm destination.

1) In years past before being a National EE and using my free days on convertibles, I would book the cheapest , CANCELLABLE, convertible rate, then hit up priceline as frequently as possible all the way up until the cancel date for my reservation, my success rate in getting a low dollar convertible rental was quite high (even though my dates were for high demand periods at high demand destinations (like HI)).

2) I recall using Orbitz for LAX rentals that the 'specialty' car at one of the rental providers was always ~$25 a day rate, it wasn't a Mustang but it was a drop top which was the most important thing to me. So check other car option descriptions instead of just convertible.

3) Book a 'normal' car and bargain with the counter person (where cars are checked out, not in the terminal). You might not come away with a convertible but you probably will come away with a much nicer car than you have booked.

4) try going to the Autoslash forum on the Milepoint website. I haven't used them yet personally but I did hear their presentation at last years Chicago Seminar Do and it sounded very promising.

3. Walt_K

Walt_K Active Member

Status Points:
    I think a benefit of being a member of the American Bar Association used to be that you could rent a car and not be charged the under 25 fee. I don't remember if it was tied to the Hertz code CDP 13000 or if it was a separate benefit. I've never been asked to show my ABA card when I have used that Hertz code, but can't guarantee you that you wouldn't be asked.

MSPeconomist and joejones like this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taxes and fees alone will be $150+. If by full insurance you mean LDW (an additional $15/day) included, $1,000 all-in for 12 days for a confirmed convertible is not unreasonable.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you priced a city rental versus an airport rental? Did the taxes drop some with that?

6. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm certainly beginning to think you're right dayone. It includes full LDW and a confirmed Mustang convertible. However, it's through some "tour company" I've never heard of (www.happytoursusa.com), but I called Alamo and they confirmed the reservation so think it should be ok.

Still can't find anywhere close to the $1000 all-in price I've got, but yes when searching for city locations it was a few dollars cheaper (probably not even enough to cover the taxi ride from the airport!)

The current res is for a pickup in LAS and returning to LAX, so probably a reasonable deal. :)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's strange for an ABA perk since the youngest "normal on schedule" law school grads would be 25, so that it would only benefit the rare child prodigy who passed the bar exam on the first try. I guess I don't see the point unless this feature is bundled with other discounts.

8. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there is an ABA student membership. I know when I was at law school here there was some discounted rate or something if we wanted to join the ABA (why a lawyer in NZ would want to do that is beyond me)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pad your resume?

After posting that, I wondered if the ABA discount was for the whole family, i.e., teenage offspring of lawyers.

10. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always laugh when I see people like, real estate agents with "LLB" (J.D. there?) after their name on their business cards.... perhaps they should add ABA too?

A terrifying thought :eek::D

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of law school grads in the USA who have never practiced law. It's viewed as a sort of training in critical thinking that opens doors, if you're from at least a good law school. Otherwise, there are a lot of unemployed and underemployed lawyers, including some laid off in recent years from top firms.

Yeah, reckless teenage drivers with expensive fast high-performance cars and lawyer parents to protect them from consequences.:eek::(:mad:

wijomas likes this.
  12. Walt_K

Walt_K Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are correct. It was a benefit that they touted for the student membership. I had forgotten that. I still don't know if it is wrapped up in that CDP code.