Convert Hotel Points to US D-Miles with 25-75% Bonus

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Kalboz, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My offer was 25% bonus

Exclusive bonus: Get up to 75% more miles

Convert a few, or convert them all. Then, use your miles for First Class upgrades or an exciting family vacation - it’s up to you! But you better hurry, you can only get your bonus May 1 - 31, 2011.

Participating Hotels:

A/Club (Accor Hotels)
    Best Western Rewards
    Choice Privileges
    Gold Points Plus (Carlson/Radisson)
    Hilton HHonors
    Hyatt Gold Passport
    Marriott Rewards
    Priority Club® Rewards (IHG)
    Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG)
    Wyndham Rewards

k02s02 and Chimpy like this.
  2. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a nobody I was offered 25%.

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Preferred Status with US is also "Normal" ... but I am sure you are somebody :)

Chimpy and cvarming like this.
  4. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everybody gets 25%. Then, there are two separate 25% bonuses: if you are Preferred, and if you have a US Airways credit or debit card.

So one can get 25%, 50%, or 75%. Between status and the credit card, I got 75%. At that level, transferring SPG points looks tempting.

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I'm preferred and hold the CC, giving me a 75% bonus potential.

6. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice.. will have to convert those Priority Club points we got for taking the surveys too many times! (Before they pull them back)

viguera likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone add some clarification to the fine print? The first line says "Only miles earned after registration and between May 1, 2011 and May 31, 2011 are eligible." But that doesn't make sense to me--why are they talking about miles, and not hotel points? And then, it goes on to say something about September 5th being the last eligible date, which makes no sense in relation to the first sentence above. So I'm confused.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it means that if you just converted 100k points into miles yesterday you're out of luck. Makes sense, since it's the standard "cover your ass" tactic of saying that any miles you convert from registration going forward will get the bonus.

As far as the dates go, I think they're allowing for some slack in the partner --> US Airways transfer, since that rarely happens immediately. Remember when you transfer points to miles (or anything to miles :) ) they say to allow for 6-8 weeks, so you can transfer something at the end of May and it would take until the end of July to actually post.

9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So once I register for this, for example, If I convert 10,000 HHonors points to Dividend Miles, I would get 850 base miles (what it says is the normal rate) plus a 50% bonus on that, for 1275 miles total per 10,000 HHonors points transfered? That's the idea behind this? Same thing with Starpoints--instead of 1 mile per 1 Starpoint, I would get 1.5 miles per Starpoint?

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that the normal rate? I thought 10k points converted to 2k miles?

-- edit: oh my bad I see you said HHonors. I was thinking about Priority Club.

11. Shari Benyousky

Shari Benyousky Active Member

Status Points:
    I "successfully registered for the promotion" but was never given an opportunity to put in which hotel points I wanted to transfer. Where/when does that occur?

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think now you have to initiate the transfer from the hotel side.

Shari Benyousky likes this.
  13. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This page was linked to the offer page and gives a list that you can click and go directly to the points transfer page for each participating hotel chain: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/promotions/points_to_miles.html

Shari Benyousky and Kalboz like this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The mileage conversion rate for Hilton's a joke. SPG is good (1-1 normally, 20K gets a 5K bonus, so converting 20K SPG-->43750 US points, which is not bad)... and Wyndham Rewards is selling points on the 4th on the Discover America where the conversion rate (with max'ed out bonuses for credit/debit card + elite status, and an AMEX to purchase the points) is under .4 cpm (yes, the decimal point is in the right spot there). :eek:

viguera likes this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet baby Jesus... what's the conversion rate from Wyndham to US Airways? I'm looking at the sales and I see 8k / 16k / 32k / 48k points but I have no idea how much that's actually "worth" :)

-- edit:

Wait, I think I got it after navigating through their rather incredibly convoluted redemption site. It seems 30k points nets you 12k US Airways miles.

The maths must be wrong... at that rate you could buy a couple of 48k Wyndham points for about $150 through the Discover America thing, then redeem those with the bonus to almost 50k US Airways miles -- for basically $300.

I must have added something wrong. Let me go check. :)

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You haven't made a mistake. People on FT did the same maths. Those are the right conversion ratios (though they get better if you use an AMEX for the purchase, buy the right packages first, and have both the credit card and elite status).

Once again, a US promo is exploitable when you look at things carefully (this happened with Track it Back on a previous promo some time back, with lucrative results for a lot of FTer US DM mileage balances).

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's crazy... I'd imagine that should sell out quickly. Then again the fine print seems to indicate you're gonna have to do some finagling to get maximize this...

The only offer where you can buy 2 max per account is 16k points for $50.

So let's play Devil's Advocate for second... :)

Assuming you and "your spouse" and "your friend" each buy as much as you're allowed to, let's see how that works out...

50k points - $130
    48k points - $150
    32k points - $100
    28k points - $69
    16k points - $50
    16k points - $50 (since they let you buy 2 sets)

"You" would then be looking at 190k points for $549 -- $494 if you're getting the 10% AMEX discount. If "your spouse" and "your friend" each got these as well, you'd have 570k points for $1,647 ($1,482 with AMEX discount).

Now you turn around and turn that into US Airways miles (with a huge smile on your face). 190k points is 76k miles.

Worst case you get a 25% bonus, so that's 76,000 + 19,000 = 95,000 US Airways miles.

Or maybe you get 50% bonus, which would be 38k for a total of 114,000 US Airways miles.

Best case, you get 75% bonus, which would be 57k, for a total of 133,000 US Airways miles.

Now if you get your spouse and your friend to send you their miles (because they're so charitable), the numbers add up to a really, really nice amount.

Not sure if I made a mistake somewhere but someone can look it over and correct me if I'm wrong. I was just putting things into perspective. :)

18. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me the scary part is the Wyndham transfer. They are notoriously slow - take a peek in the WY forum - and the transfer bonus is only good between May 1 - May 31.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    US accounts for that: there will be two dates, when the transaction was performed (which will be when you redeem your Wyndham points) and when it posts to the account (whenever it is that Wyndham gets around to reporting it to US). The first one is the one US will use for figuring out the bonus. As long as it posts by September you'll get the bonus.

So don't plan on booking your flights soon, but you'll get your miles.

This happened with the Grand Slam last year- it took a while for stragglers to come in, over a month past deadline in some cases. Still got my miles. (This included Wyndham.)

JohnDeere19, viguera and kellio like this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly why I think they mentioned that September date. But like you said, don't plan to use the miles within the next few months and you should be alright.

21. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Advice needed--I'm trying to decide if I should do this or not. I have about 35,000 Starwood points lying around. I generally like to keep hotel points for hotel award redemptions, but for some reason I'm considering this more than usual. The way I look at it, I can either:

1. Sit on my 35,000 starpoints, which is roughly good for 3 nights at a higher end Starwood property.
    2. Trade 20,000 starpoints, which with the 5000 transfer bonus and my 50% DM bonus, would give me 37,500 miles, and leave me with enough starpoints for one night somewhere at a high end property.
    3. Just transfer all of my starpoints, giving my 60,000 miles, and then just book hotel award stays with my Hilton points.

I guess my debate is that I feel like it's a good deal, but I don't have a specific flight award I'm working towards at the moment, and already have a couple hundred thousand DM miles lying around.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it, it's a good promotion, but if you're not planning to (or have a way to) get that many Starwood points in the future then it doesn't make sense. Plus you already have a bunch of DM miles...

23. billydee
    Original Member

billydee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up on this! I went ahead and converted 7500 of my 7900 Hyatt points I had sitting around and would probably never use.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would like to propose:

Option 4: Do option 3, but also top off your account to 40K by buying 5,000 SPG for $140 (SPG points are on 20% discount for May, so only 2.8 cents per, not 3.5), so you would transfer and get 75,000 US DM. ;)

$140 additional investment for an extra 15,000 miles is less than 1 cent per mile. If you're going to do the transfer, do it right. :)

That being said, if you are rich in DM and don't have a particular use for them, 35K SPG would come in handy for a lot of things, especially given points+cash awards. I don't like randomly stockpiling for much more than one intended trip/goal, given that miles/points are a depreciating asset. I am currently rebuilding my DM pile to a nice level, but at some point I'll stop, cash in, and start again... :)

richinaz and viguera like this.
  25. thank you for posting kalboz

Kalboz likes this.