Convert from Mileage Plus?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by stm69, Sep 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I assume there is a thread in here somewhere about this, but I was unable to find it (addmittedly didn't search all that hard) so if someone would rather point me in that direction, thanks in advance.

I've been 1K @ United for ~5 years, flying UA nearly exclusively during that time. I've seen a lot of folks expressing frustrations with UA post-merger & it got me thinking about other programs. Based @ ORD & fly primarily to western US locations - all serviced (I believe) by UA & AA.

Has anyone had a better experience @ AA after leaving UA? I haven't had the problems others describe with UA, but wonder if I'm missing something. Biggest concern is use of miles - the rest of my family doesn't fly so w/UA I can at least use the miles for merchandise, etc. - as best I can tell, AA offers what - magazine subscriptions?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you can trade UA miles for AA miles on points.com, which will give you better value than magazines.

Due to AA's fee structure, best to trade in 5k increments. Cost is 1¢/mile.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate to see you leave but you'd better check out the dAArk thread at the longest running FF site...the other one...y'know...;)

Welcome and good luck!

guberif likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something to consider if you're planning to switch to AA is a potential merger with US. Probably won't happen anytime soon, but down the road it may cause some of the same problems as UA is having.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me the OP was looking for ways to spend AA miles on something other than mags (or flights), not to create more AA miles ;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    My kids have serious allergies that prevent them from flying, so my point was that @ UA I can use my miles for other things like merchandise, etc. Other than magazine subscriptions or conversion to points.com, I didn't see anything similar @ AA - I've heard the conversion to points can be a challenge & that there are fees involved....?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can use AA miles for hotels and rental cars. Not necessarily the best usage of miles (but neither is merchandise purchase), though I have occasionally seen rentals that were reasonable when paid with miles vs. cash. Have a look at

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/main.jsp?from=Nav

Also, it seems you can turn them into gift cards via points.com (not sure what the value per mile is in that case, but should be easy to figure out), which then let you buy stuff.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

9. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    (very) good to know- thx

10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has auctions for unique experiences - something that UA has started recently - although I like UA's selection better. As others pointed out, using miles for merchandise doesn't offer very good value, but if you have no other choices, it's an option. You can use AA miles to get gift cards through points.com; not very good value either, but an option.

FWIW, I'm based in Chicago and I've been a UA flyer for many years alternating between 1P and 1k. I got a status match to EXP this January and I've so far flown about 50 segments on each airline, all domestic. This is my first ever year of having top tier status on two airlines.

My current thinking is that once AA gets Economy Plus, most of my business will go to them. I have discovered that AA's treatment of top tier elites is much better, and my upgrade percentage on AA is noticeably higher than on UA. I like AA's 737 better than UA's 320 and 757, and I really enjoy Gogo on longer flights. I have used 2 AA SWU to upgrade wife and daughter; my UA SWUs have been used on domestic flights, or expired.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was really tired. Trades can also go the other way.....

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, got it. Thanks!