convert AmEx HHonors card to true Amex Gold/Platinum card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Schali, Dec 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you have experiences changing a hotel branded card to a true AmEx CC? Goal would be to keep the credit history from the previous card, credit line, actual balance, the customer history with AmEx "member since", and possibly get a new sign up bonus. Any thoughts?

satman40 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call them up, I have,

Even if you apply, they often move your credit limit, and close your old account.

Schali likes this.
  3. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you - probably no way around to call them. Want to avoid closing the account. BoA kept the account alive with a different type of CC.

4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold/Plat are business card, HH isn't they will make you apply the CL aren't going to be transferable also

Schali likes this.
  5. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you - I see - I thought there is a personal Gold/Plat card available as well - Thank you

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is.

I've always just opened up new cards. I believe the member since date is based on your Amex Profile and as long as you have an account open it stays. But my business and personal cards have different dates.

FYI: your amex log in stays long term even if you don't have cards, mine is the same as what I had in the late 90's, but my member since date is newer since I had years with no card.

Schali likes this.
  7. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense thank you!