Conversion Bonus with Aeroplan

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by pointshogger, Apr 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    B1BomberVB, gregm and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very unfortunately for me, as that's the only way I'd consider doing the conversion. Past conversions when the bonuses made sense to use the AMEX MR points were helpful for some of our trip planning. Giving up 10,000 hotel points to get 1,000 Aeroplan miles, even with the bonuses, doesn't compute for me, so I'll just use the 1:1 MR conversion rate if, and when, needed.

B1BomberVB, The Winger and gregm like this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why does Aeroplan pick on Amex? I guess it's because the bonus would make Amex a better deal than Aeroplan Visa cards?!

4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took advantage of a similar offer in Nov. 2013 to unload my Wyndham points. Good deal given the devaluation of Jan. 31/ 2014!

5. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    8824 Virgin America points can become 5K +1K bonus Aeroplan on points.com. Tolerable if one wants to unload orphan VA miles.
    Or how about 40K Starwood --> 50K + 10K bonus Aeroplan?

6. pointshogger

Status Points:
    I wish I knew. AMEX is pretty much the only exception. The 1:1 current ratio is already pretty good, so any additional bonuses would be amazing.

Conversely, the hotel conversion is pretty dismal, comparatively speaking, and even with the bonus promo it's still not that great.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diners' Club is also 1:1 last I heard & it is eligible for this bonus!

8. Alex (Easy Award Booking)

Alex (Easy Award Booking) Member

Status Points:
    Waiting for the AMEX : Aeroplan promo but I feel it will never come back

9. pointshogger

Status Points:
    Same here. I believe the last AMEX to Aeroplan promo was actually in 2011. AMEX hasn't even done the Avios this year.

10. Alex (Easy Award Booking)

Alex (Easy Award Booking) Member

Status Points:
    I know…I think it will probably return some time later in the year. Remember that ALOT of people signed up for AMEX at the beginning of the year, and so they will not want to pay a premium for transferring to AVIOS.

11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don`t think AC (Aeroplan) is in any rush to give the AMEX MR bonuses any more. Remember that any FF miles carried on an airlines` books are carried as a liability until they are either used or expire, and when past offers resulted in many of us, myself included, transferring lots of miles into Aeroplan from MR with the bonuses, all those additional FF miles impacted the bottom line on their balance sheet until they were gone, one way or the other.

And giving up large amounts of hotel points for much less AP miles, even with the bonus miles, isn`t worth it IMO, unless someone has reams of extra hotel points looking for a home, or possibly to top up an account with a small amount of additional miles for a pending flight award trip.

In the meantime, MR points can still transfer into both Aeroplan and BA Avios miles at a rate of 1:1 for those airline`s FF plans which will work for me if needed, or also 1:1 to Hilton Honors.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    pointshogger likes this.