Conversation email subject line is variable

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by SC Flier, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    During Beta, I gave some feedback about how if you're enrolled in email notification for Conversations, then you get an email notification for every single time that someone responds. I still would like the option to unsubscribe from email notification on a per-conversation basis, but this is about another aspect.

Currently, when someone posts to a Conversation, I get an email such as...
    Randy replied to your conversation "SC Flier is my favorite MPer"

Now if someone else posts to that same conversation, I get another email such as...
    Gargoyle replied to your conversation "SC Flier is my favorite MPer"

In my email system, each of these are a completely separate email rather than part of a collective discussion. And the only content is a link to the Conversation. The email doesn't contain the message that was posted.

I'd rather the subject be like...
    Milepoint conversation "SC Flier is my favorite MPer" 2134
    ...and the email body be like...
    Gargoyle replied to your conversation "SC Flier is my favorite MPer"

<link to Conversation>​
    ...and maybe the actual message posted or the first few lines of what was posted.​

IOW, my email system would handle it better if the username were not part of the subject line. For the reasonable possibility that I might have more than one conversation with the same title, I included the conversation number (e.g. 2134) in my model above.

For those who don't want to get email notifications at all for new Conversation messages, that feature can be turned off here.

I still hope for a future feature to be able to turn off email notification for an individual Conversation or to instruct that I only want to get one email notification for the first post after my most recent viewing of the Conversation. ("So-and-so replied to your conversation since you last viewed it. There may be additional replies, but you have opted to only get notice for the first reply after each visit....") But I figure that the email subject line might could be manipulated a bit easier sooner rather than later.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fortunately in Eudora I can sort and filter e-mail by a wide range of content, so I can have everything from MP go into one folder automatically. That isn't the case with some other e-mail apps, so your suggestion on subject lines is important.

I turned off e-mail notification because the subject only e-mails are pretty useless for me; if they included content it would become useful.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can filter them with my email (Gmail Apps), but I want to see them in my Inbox when they come in. I just don't want to see 10 of them all separately when 10 different people post comments. Gmail doesn't see the separate emails from each person as being all part of the same email discussion -- at least in part because they all have different subject lines.

Also in Gmail, I can "mute" an email thread so that all additional emails to that particular thread could skip my Inbox.