Convenient/cheap BKK airport hotel??

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got an upcoming 11pm-9am layover and will want a bed for the night. Any suggestions for something cheap but reasonable near the airport. Preferably with a shuttle, but I can make do without if needed.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe there is a transit hotel in BKK when I was researching. I stayed at Novotel BKK which was convenient (long walk or shuttle) but not cheap on my 18 hr layover

Kalboz likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's still well above what I was hoping for.

I don't really care about brand/points. Any truly low-priced options which are reasonable.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you have checked booking.com? They have 22 airport shuttle hotels, with well rated hotels in the $20-$40 range? I'd probably go with Vismaya Suvarnabhumi http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/vismaya-suvarnbhumi-luxury-resort.en-us.html which is $46 on the 19th (but now I see they have rates with transfers, so it might be more.). Over something like the $22 Rafael Mansion Bangkok Airport which looks older.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like agoda.com for that part of the world.

It lists Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi for $22 (plus 17%) including the 3.7 kilometer round-trip shuttle ride from the airport. The hotel has a "very good" rating of 7.8 based on over 8,000 reviews. The pictures (for whatever they're worth :eek:) look pretty swank by my standards (which are admittedly low). For seventy cents or so additional you can get a breakfast included rate.

That's the first place I clicked on -- there are fifteen or twenty cheaper places as well.

anileze, Kalboz and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping that others might have some experience with options. I certainly can just click blindly on a booking site and hope for the best but I wanted something (even slightly) more informed than that. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    $22 bucks for a hotel, when I have a perfectly good airport handy? What do I look like, I'm made of money or something?!?!? :D

OY-JFS, Kalboz and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. 50_fishing

50_fishing Active Member

Status Points:
    I normally stay over night at Best Western Premier Amaranth Suvarnabhumi Airport. The hotel provides free shuttle service, rooms are clean and staffs are friendly. Just booked last week for early April at Agoda for $59 + tax , total is a little over $70. If you have Best Western reward points, it is 20K a night.

Kalboz, iolaire and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Convenient Resort - Just five minutes from Suvarnabhumi Airport. Basic clean room, free airport shuttle, hot shower, AC, and breakfast currently for under $30. Was THB 920 when I stayed there in 2007 upon arriving late into BKK. It is not a resort but it's okay.

9-11 Lat krabang Soi 38, Lat Krabang
    Bangkok, Thailand, 10520
    TEL : 66 (0) 2327 4118-21 FAX : 66 (0) 2327 4004
    E-mail: info@convenientresort.com
    http://www.convenientresort.com/

Also stayed at the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Bangkok when Accor had a 50% off sale & paid around $75 per night. Great access to airport via an underground walkway. Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157622489516321/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the twice in the last few months at Suvarnabhumi Regent for around $30 with transport both ways. Booked on hotels. Com. Basic but clean and free Wi-Fi usually works!

Kalboz and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I ended up at the Convenient Resort. It certainly was not a resort and it was only marginally convenient but it got the job done at a quite reasonable price. I ended up booking directly as it was a few dollars cheaper than any of the OTAs I saw it on.

13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any info about access to the Airport Link?

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In what context? I don't think any hotels have direct access.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be two stations nearby, one at the airport. Walking (distance, time, advisability)? Hotel shuttle (places other than the airport and, of source, only TO the station)? No problem with paying for the airport shuttle (not counting arrival and departure) or a taxi if necessary.

I'm leaning strongly towards staying near the airport (various reasons) for two nights and taking the traininto town rather than staying in town. Could be much more convenient.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Er, not really, no. I don't see what commuting back out to the boonies every night on the ARL gets you, aside from train rides if that's your thing. Cheap, good hotel rooms are available all over Bangkok. What you're proposing is like staying at a EWR/JFK hotel and taking the LIRR/NJ Transit train in to Manhattan every day, except the room rates in Manhattan are the same price as the ones out at the airport (as opposed to being a multiple of EWR/JFK airport hotels), oh, and Manhattan's in the middle of a massive heat wave making the weather tropical once you step outside.

estnet, Kalboz and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm with the self-named one. I wouldn't stay out at the airport unless you absolutely have to. And I don't believe the off-airport options are particularly convenient to the train stations.

Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL) has two lines: the City Line & the Express Line.

City Line: Phayathai > Rathchaprarop > Makkasan > Ramkhamhaeng > Hua Mark > Ban Thap Chang > Lat Krabang > Suvarnabhumi Airport. It takes about 30-minuets as the train stops at the above-mentioned stations. There is a BTS (elevated light monorail) station connected to the Phayathai Airport Link station. There are several hotels around the ARL City Line stations but they are not of the caliber or quality expected by this website's readers (scuzzy properties).

Express Line: Phayathai-Suvarnabhumi Airport Express Route (non-stop service) takes about 20-minutes. One stop away, the Asia Hotel is directly connected to Ratchathewi BTS Skytrain Station.

Makkasan City Interchange Station > Suvarnabhumi International Airport (non-stop service) takes about 15-minutes. There is a MRT (subway) station nearby, but at the time of my visit the subway was not connected to the elevated Airport Link station. You have to exit the ARL station cross two streets to reach an entrance to the subway at Phetchaburi station. Closest major hotels are the SGS, WGS, Grand Millennium by Copthorne, etc. - one stop away by subway from Makkasan at the intersection of Sukhumvit & Asok.

The ARL station at Suvarnabhumi BKK is located under the airport terminal. The terminal is connected to the Novotel by the same underground tunnel.

See photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157625517757655/
    [​IMG]
    Makkasan City Interchange Station

LIH Prem and OY-JFS like this.
  19. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a link to a hotel that I stayed at near the airport. I would give it a 9 out 10 rating. Not only will they pick you up at the airport, but when you want to go into Bangkok, they will take you to the nearest Skytrain station which is one stop from the airport station, less than 5 minutes away. They will also give you a cell phone with their phone number programed in so that when you get back to the station you can call them and they will pick you up. Here is their link
    http://www.lilac-suvarnabhumi.com/

20. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did write to Convenient Hotel and their response re the Airport Link was essentially to take a taxi to Lat Krabang station (50-60 baht).

sfo1, thanks for the info on that hotel; I do like the security aspect of them providing the transfers to that same station. Also like that they seem to act like a big hotel, with 24 hour services, rather than the 10 room place that they are. It may work out quite well...

Kalboz and LIH Prem like this.
  21. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't quite bring myself to stay at the airport. Main reason was the one evening I could stay out late I would probably miss the train. So I booked the Holiday Inn on Sumhumvit. Thanks for the advice!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTS system: For one person it's the cheapest, but for two, sometimes the double BTS charge will be about the same as a taxi fare for two. I don't know if you can still do it, but if you go to the top floor, where it is the arrival area for taxi's coming to the airport to drop off people at the different airlines, these taxi's will drop off fares, but are not allowed to pick up fares right there at the drop off area. But after they leave all the airline areas, at the end I think they can snatch a fare there. Some will ask for a flat fee, usually higher than the meter, but you just insist on the meter or wait for another. If you catch a taxi by baggage claim you have to pay the dispatcher a fee, which is okay. But don't go to the limo as it will cost you a lot more for both the dispatcher and the limo.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be after midnight. I will be exhausted. I will not be looking to save a dollar or two. Private car booked.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that the express line will NOT be going past Makkasan for the next year or so! It will NOT go to Phayathai

LIH Prem likes this.
  25. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I don't know about the Express line, you can connect from the City Line at Makkasan to the MRT (subway) without crossing any streets. After exiting the fare gate, walk in the opposite direction as the train as heading (ie toward rear) and there is a skybridge which alights at the entrance to the MRT. There are also down escalators available at each transition so you can roll your rollaboard luggage.

I haven't used the Express line so I don't know if the transit is as easy, but since the City Line runs every 12-15 minutes, it really doesn't seem worth waiting for the Express line which is less frequent.

LIH Prem likes this.