Continued Continental Partnership?

Discussion in 'Virgin Atlantic | Flying Club' started by BobInLA, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BobInLA

BobInLA Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeking to AVOID crediting any miles to Continental, as I'm almost certain that once the United/Continental merger is complete, they'll adopt StarNet Blocking (I have absolutely no proof of this, but I'm hedging my bets based on past experience(s) -- I've burned through a majority of my United and Continental miles and continue to be "blocked" for numerous awards, stuck with 135K -- but now I'm getting off topic). I'm looking for another mileage program that I haven't yet utilized and have hit upon Virgin Atlantic's Flying Club -- even though I rarely fly them (though I'm not worried about that). But before I start to dig my heels in, I wondered if anyone knew about the status of Continental as an earning partner with VS's Flying Club? VS has a great set of partners to earn and burn, but living in L.A., I fly United/Continental with frequency and would be crediting those flights to VS. Anyone know if VS's partnership with Continental will end up continuing after they become United? With UA's UK routes, I worry that partnership is in danger (and, if I join Flying Club, won't be able to credit UA flights there).

Any help would be appreciated,
    Bob

2. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't credit to Virgin Atlantic. The redemption taxes are absolutely ridiculous and I haven't found enough information about booking awards on VA to figure out its availability.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the ability to redeem CO (then UA) miles on VS flights continue?

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hard to imagine that the relationship with Virgin continues, unless Virgin gets closer to Star (eg Lufthansa buys them!) which I doubt will happen in the immediate term.

Be careful of the Virgin program. Many high redemption prices and high fuel surcharges to boot. There are a handful of redemption values but not many. Even with Starnet blocking I would value United miles over VIrgin miles.

5. BobInLA

BobInLA Active Member

Status Points:
    Well with the redemption prices and high fuel surcharges coupled with the...let's just say anticipated lack of partnership, I think I'll hold off. Will have to go back to the drawing board, as I'm still not crazy about StarNet blocking...but that (again) is me getting off topic.