Continental website now set up for PreCheck

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by okrogius, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am wondering what their criteria will be for participation. i am trying to decide whether or not to volunteer for this trial program.

3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hard to say definitively - likely some combination of elite status (those are the ones that would use it most and also the vocal complaining group), easy verification (we're all lazy and if you have enough demand why not - this also largely ties in to what they do as part of this screening process), and random luck.

Personally, I just find NEXUS (or Global Entry) entirely worth it - which also means I'm eligible for this as soon as they start using it.

4. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i didn't actually read that a "needing" to have either NEXUS or Global to participate. i read it as "if you had either, please put that info in" type of request. of course having some sort of elite status would probably help their screeners.

as a newly minted 1K, i am looking forward to them giving me Global Entry sometime next year. as for this trial program, i will decide later. will see if any more info comes out in the new year.

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, if you already have NEXUS/GlobalEntry - you're instantly eligible for PreCheck. If you don't, they use some unpublished mechanism to find guinea pigs out of those interested.

6. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! this is why i should stop posting on the internet when half asleep. reading comprehension just goes out the window as i had missed the finer points of the info on the CO site. thanks for clarifying that.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice. I did not see it listed on what airports will be participating in this trial. I assume hubs, but which one?

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just a feeler to see if there's enough interest and then they'll target certain airports. So if you live in a non hub airport, don't expect a benefit. Also, if you are in a superhub likew EWR, its unlikely to find its way there as well. At least they're telling us what we want to hear, and that is they're hoping to have something in place sooner than later.

9. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at total number of passengers, EWR is actually smaller than every other (domestic) United hub with the exception of CLE. Moreover, looking at past trial locations, including ATL and DFW, large size shouldn't be a deterrent. Although you're likely right it will be a hub or two (unless they start significantly increase the scope of their trial).

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if EWR would be considered since its such a high risk airport (based on 9/11, etc). I hope they would try to perfect it before putting it at critical airports. But finally star alliance gets a carrier involved.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately only US residents with NEXUS and/or GE...leaves out us Canadian and Dutch GE members for the test, though up here a similar Trusted Traveler fast track has been implemented for NEXUS cardholders at most airports, though we still remove belts and laptops to go through security.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would EWR be considered any more high a risk airport than ATL or DFW? It had nothing to do with 9.11 flights AFAIK.

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    United elites will be eligible to participate. Check this thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/united-elites-to-get-trusted-traveler-program.23988/

jetsetr likes this.
  14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if you already have Global Entry or NEXUS, it’s easier for them to identify you as an already Trusted Traveler, so it would increase your chances here, depending on airport. Not necessarily exclusionary if you don’t. Just easier for them because of experience with you to date.

In what way does your being a 1K matter for Global Entry, do you think? I’ve only just now qualified as a 1K for the 1st time ever and I’ve had GE almost since they started the program some years ago. And I’m assuming the “them” you write of being the ones to give it to you doesn’t mean you think it’s a benefit of being a 1K CO/UA. :)

BTW, I signed up as interested and included my Trusted Traveler #.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    2012 UA MP program specifically lists GE fee reimbursement as a 1k benefit :). (of course being 1k has no relevance on approval, just cost)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  16. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it’s the cost of the application that’s being covered and does not guarantee that you’ll qualify. The application cost applies when you fill out the application form. If you’re rejected, you don’t get the fee back. So, being a 1K or a UA 1K does not guarantee you’ll be accepted into Global Entry. It’s just nice that UA, like the AmEx Plat & Centurion cards, cover the fee for applying. :)

17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How quick we forget. UA 93 departed EWR.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly did not forget the event, but thought 93 left from LGA. (I still remember the following morning delivering on behalf of FTers here in Toronto flowers to the UA CTO here at the Royal York Hotel and to AA's on Gerrard Street that I'd just visited two days earlier to pick up tickets for my SJC-TPE flight on September 20th.) Still, all US airports had the same security procedures at the time so there was nothing lax at EWR or BOS versus any other airport.

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It did, but hijackers connected from someplace else - so security at NYC airports did not matter. Only the weakest link matters.

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know, but canadien didnt think EWR was involved in the 9/11 planes. That was the plane that Jason Dahl was on.

TAHKUCT likes this.