Continental/United Lounge Access and Minors

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WideOpenSpaces, Feb 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. WideOpenSpaces

WideOpenSpaces Silver Member

Status Points:
    We received two complimentary one-time lounge access passes for being Continental Business card holders this week (we have only had the card a couple of months). My question is, will be we allowed to take our children (1 and 3 years old) with us into the lounge for free, or will they require us to purchase them a pass to enter the lounge?

I called the United Club number, and while the guy did not know for sure, he said we would probably need to purchase them passes for admission.

Can that really be true? Normally, kids get in free admission under a certain age, and I can not justify dropping $50 for each of them to use the lounge too.

Does anyone have experience taking minors, and specifically little ones, into the lounges?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically the guy on the phone is correct. Any person entering the lounge is charged, even the kids. Most of the time they are included in the "immediate family" clause for members meaning there is no additional charge, but they are accounted for. There is no "free under age N" policy that I'm aware of.

In reality, it is very much a YMMV situation. You might get in without issue and you might be asked to pay for them. And you won't know until you get to the door and speak with the agent there.

3. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have brought my 5 year old into clubs (united, AC and delta) on day passes. I was never required to buy pass for her. Even when I asked if she needs a pass, the front desk person just waived her hand and said no. I do not think that there is written rule though.

4. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have bought one day passes before at the counter and had my son with me and they just waived him through, I think most do this, I'd say you would be unlucky if they didnt waive them through

WideOpenSpaces likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Admittance (by the book)
    • A valid membership card or One-Time Pass is required for admittance. Government-issued photo identification may also be required.
    • United representatives will retain membership cards that are expired or presented by anyone other than the member.
    • Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children. Member guest limit in Clubs outside the United States is one, or spouse and dependent children.
    • Member must accompany and remain with their family members or guests.
    • A One-Time Pass admits one person, with no guest privileges.
    • Replacements of lost or stolen membership cards may be requested in writing or by phoning the United Club Service Center. There is a fee for replacing cards.
    • United reserves the right to limit club access to members traveling on same-day tickets.
    • United reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone who interferes with the business-like atmosphere of United Club.
    http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52713,00.html?navSource=rccMemb&linkTitle=rccTerms

With a full membership a spouse and dependents are allowed as guests, but not on day passes,so it is heartening to hear that the Clubs have been allowing guests (children) on One-Time Passes. However, it does make sense to let the kids in with the parents...:cool:

6. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would seem a cultural split between CO and UA here. Children in the clubs, children boarding early, children in First.

I've got nothing against kids, but having them shouldn't get you special privileges. Want to bring one into the lounge? Pay for it.

MSPeconomist, Flyer1976 and 2wheels like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's children in First Class, it's most likely their parents paid for it regardless so suck it up... If there's Children in the clubs, it's most likely the parents paid for it regardless so suck it up again... If there's Children boarding early and you're complaining then where's your common courtesy and decency and values? Suck...it...up because life is too short to be worrying about stuff like this buddy...

I'd be more worried about the nonrevs circling about the gatehouse conspiring to steal your upgrades.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where's the split? Both have basically the same policy. :confused:

gobluetwo likes this.
  9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only real difference I noted between legacy CO and UA w/r/t children is the legacy CO allows (allowed?) families with children to board before general boarding. The process, from what I recall, was military in uniform, F, elites, then families with young children, followed by general boarding. UA did not have that provision, nor did they separate out military.

Doesn't seem to be a difference w/r/t lounge access or kids in first. Re: lounges, it was probably more up to the discretion of the gatekeepers than any actual policy adherence.

10. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this go both ways in real life. I have seen an agent say that absolutely everyone must have a pass and I have seen children not need a pass when the parents have a day pass. So, who knows how it will go for you. Just don't be overly disappointed if they follow "the rules" and make you get a pass for the little ones. If you have a long enough wait, those family rooms really are worth it.

YULtide and Wandering Aramean like this.
  11. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    On an FCO-iad-MSY trip 11 days ago, the dragon lady at IAD said two children (5, 10) could go in w/ the adults.

Altho the quietness of the lounge, and free salty munchies and wine, etc. and access to service desk can be nice, there's not much for kids this age to do at most lounges and they are probably happier wandering around the terminal. If it's been 20+ hours of travel and the lounge is winding down, it can be nice, tho at such times the terminal is also usually winding down and kids can sleep on chairs at an unused gate.

US lounges frequently allow kids a free ride in, while in Europe, Asia, or for e.g., a LH Senator lounge, the rules are usually strictly enforced.

12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just depends how much fire the dragons are spitting. I actually don't think lounges are great for young kids (other than to havr mom and dad grab a drink!) unless they have a family room - and then they are priceless!

13. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bringing a companion on UDU's allowed more kids to upgrade without their parent spoiling e500's on them. It is quite evident on the Hawaii flights I was taking for work in 2010... So PMCO policy was more kids-in-first friendly than PMUA.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many Priority Pass lounges follow the explicit rule that children under 2 are free, while the full charge applies to older kids. This is in line with lap child rules, where again the cutoff is at age 2. Hence it wouldn't surprise me if the automatic instinct of a lounge dragon would be that under 2s are free but other kids are not. Since there is no established price for children, the full rate would apply.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The PMCO companion upgrade policy was only at the gate while the PMUA policy was at the UDU window. And UDU was a PMUA policy. It can be argued that the PMUA policy allowing the companion (i.e. kid) at the UDU window instead of only at the gate was much more kid-in-F friendly.

16. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're correct as usual oh he who is wise and wanders. My little daughter travels with me frequently. Almost always tried to avoid PMCO metal if looking to upgrade when flying with her because it almost never happened.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. United Connection

United Connection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holding that UDU was a PMUA policy is really just a semantic argument in my view; UDU was implemented to align with PMCO.

To be clear, though, I agree with your overall point- there isn't a valid distinction to be made between PMUA and PMCO regarding treatment of kids.