Continental (United) Coupon Giveaway

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Casey Friday, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase keeps on sending me these travel discount certificates, even though I canceled my Continental OnePass card over a year ago. They also send me the club passes annually. :) It always makes me a bit nostalgic and teary, as this was the first card I focused heavily on to get some big Mint spend. Sniff.. sniff...

Anyhow, I just got my SWRR Companion Pass along with 180K SWRR points, so I won't be flying United any time soon. Their mistake is your gain!

I have 2 certs that expire 5/31/2012 (THIS MONTH!) and 2 that expire 12/31/2012. Here's what they look like.

[​IMG]

If you are flying before 5/31/2012 and want one of the two (if not both) of them, answer this trivia question correctly to win the passes:
    If you aren't in a rush to travel but still want some discounts, answer this trivia question correctly to win the certs expiring 12/31/2012:
    Let me know if you need just one or both when you answer the trivia question. I'll wait until the end of the day, and whoever answered (correctly) first will get these puppies mailed to them. Happy contesting!

Mikus33, Jimgotkp, davef139 and 4 others like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the T&C on these certs make them nearly worthless. Limited travel dates and fare classes make it very hard to get value from them. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

aptraveler and Scottrick like this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Great gesture and i might have use for them but will wait for other members to step forward. You did however lead me to Google and I now know the name of the French Horn player — things you can learn on Milepoint, and the guy really is perhaps the world's greatest French Horn player. Thanks for the gesture and the education!

4. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barry Emmanuel Tuckwell?

aptraveler, harvson3 and Casey Friday like this.
  5. a Broad Abroad

a Broad Abroad Active Member

Status Points:
    There's a disclaimer at the bottom that states, "Your Continental Airlines Credit Card must be open...for this certificate to be valid" -- has anybody successfully redeemed these certs after closing their CC account? Or, more importantly, has anybody had them denied/rejected?

harvson3 likes this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

I still miss Dennis Brain's playing, though I do have the really lovely recording of him playing the garden hose for Hoffnung (it's a Leopold Mozart piece).

7. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I have found these imnpossible to use, I have a flight coming up that would work, but I am burning a vdb voucher for it since it costs so much, the problems of booking A-Fares lol

I recall the rules are, V-Fare+ with a 14day advance purch, travel valid only Mon-Thur

8. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm..I have never gotten these and I've been a member for 8 years.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saturday, too, and a ridiculously low max value if starting or ending in a hub.
    Do you have the co-branded CC? That's where these come from.

10. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To everybody - sorry about how useless these certs seem to be. I'll have to throw my club passes on here instead!

I've been playing the horn since 1997, and although I'll admit that there are 'better' horn players than Tuckwell, he's definitely my favorite of the lot, and the most prolific!
    You got it! I didn't realize how useless these certs actually are, but if you still want them, PM me your address and I'll mail you one (or both) of the certs that expire 5/31.
    People often say he died a tragic death, but he died driving his favorite sports car. I think that's a fantastic way to go! I definitely regard him as the greatest horn player (not my favorite though:) ).

Jimgotkp likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, yeah, the favorite's gotta be someone you can see live, I think. :)

Still, You can hear the garden hose in the clip from track 4 here. The best part about seeing it done live (long after Brain died, unfortunately) was the part where the horn player tuned the garden hose with shears....

aptraveler and Casey Friday like this.
  12. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    As for the certs - please pass them along to Randy. If anybody can get value out of one of these, he can!
    I must say this was an enlightening hunt. Love to dig into such things.
    Now if you have some club passes you don't need . . . ;)

Casey Friday likes this.
  13. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a few of these certs too. Randy - or anyone else- if you want them send a conversation my way.
    Casey, I played the horn for years. Fabulous instrument! Thanks for the short trivia fun~

Casey Friday likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything to mail? I thought they are to be used online.

Casey Friday likes this.
  15. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like the United Club day passes, few people have reported problems in redeeming these even after cancelling the credit card.

Casey Friday likes this.
  16. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good point - I'll just take photos of them and send them to Randy. Yeah, I could just type out the codes, but what fund would that be?:)
    Awesome! I'll give away my club passes next! The next trip I'm going on is the Hilton Come Dream With Us sweepstakes I'll be winning to take my wife to London, and I won't need the club passes for that!

harvson3 likes this.
  17. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was AMAZING! Thanks for letting me know about that! I've seen a lot of cool things done with horns (alphorn conglomerations, London Horn Sound, car horn ensembles, etc) and this is definitely one of the most impressive.

I got braces about a month ago, so I haven't been able to play successfully on my Yamaha 668-II, but I'm excited to get back at it once I get rid of the metal mouth.

aptraveler likes this.
  18. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, someone posted 2 of these recently on FT for a giveaway and I promptly used both of them for my parents to fly with me to MSY. Had 0 trouble making very good use of them.

Wandering Aramean likes this.