Continental OnePass Plus Card Availability Question

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by juukx, Oct 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. So I looked around a bit and didn't find much on this. My understanding is that CO points will combine with United points after the merger occurs. I was wondering if the Continental OnePass Plus card will be available after the merger or if that will promptly disappear also? If so, would it be prudent to obtain this before the merger as to take advantage of the bonus while still being eligible for the United Mileage Plus card in the future?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. Jizzle

Jizzle Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since it is a different product, I would venture to assume that you would qualify for the United card in the future. But your mileage may vary. I see the Continental brand being converted, would be the same credit account with Chase, but they would issue a new United branded card sometime in the future.
    In fact I am surprised they are even still offering the Continental card. Seems like it would cut down on complexity. I guess they are both still running idependantly until the merger is complete.

juukx likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The United MileagePlus Explorer and the Continental OnePass Plus are nearly identical cards, and all OPP holders will be transitioned to the MPE card as the merger progresses. This was part of the official announcement when the card was introduced. I think there's also been an official statement saying that OPP holders cannot apply for an MPE card because of this, but I'm not as sure about this last part (though it makes sense). You may have more trouble finding an application for a non-MPE card. If you can find an app for the MP Select card, that would be your best bet.

juukx likes this.
  4. Thanks for your input. I agree with you.

Thanks for replying. I was figuring they would be transferred over. I haven't been able to find anything on the allowance of applying for both. I'm interested if anyone else has heard similar. By non-MPE, do you mean the MP Select? It seems like the MP Select is no longer offered. It looks like it was nice though.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mean anything that is not a MP Explorer. The Select would be great, but I can't find it or anything else. As I said, I think the Explorer and the OnePass plus will be treated as the same card, so you need something else entirely in order to double-dip. I'm not sure a solution exists.

juukx likes this.
  6. Jizzle

Jizzle Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just approved for the OPP with the targeted 50k on first use. I am hoping that in Q1 the united promo will still allow me to qualify for the mysterious huge bonus people have been talking about. I have read examples of people receiving both bonuses but your mileage may vary.

juukx likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. Your solution is the one to try given the poor options available.

juukx likes this.
  8. It sounds like a gamble. It has a great profit if it turns out but that would suck if having OPP now means no huge bonus 3 months from now...