Continental OnePass card.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Justin Johnson, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first year is up on my Chase Continental OnePass card is up and I have a few questions.
    1. Should I cancel this card now, I never use it.
    2. Am I eligible too get the sign up bonus On the Chase United card?

Sorrry if these have been asked a million times I spend most of my time in the AA forum.

Thanks for your time.

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Explorer's Terms have tended to say you cannot get a sign up bonus if you got the OnePass card afte 7/19/11. If you got the OnePass before that, you might want to take advantage of the "targeted" 50k offer on the united card in the next month or so and just cancel your OnePass card.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would cancel it soon if it was me. If you are up for applying for a new Chase card, the United card might be a good bet for you so that you don't lose out on your chance to get that sign-up bonus. I agree to try and get targeted for a 50K offer by having at least one mile in your United account. Either way, don't keep the CO card long enough to have it convert to a MileagePlus card. Dump it soon. ;)

2soonold and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I got the card in Feb/Mach of last year so I think I'm good for that part.
    I think I'm going to call tomorrow and cancel the card.
    Thanks for the info.

5. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I can get on the target card as I don't have any points in my United account.
    I have been on the focusing on AA kinda waiting on the merger finished.
    But I will see about getting some quick miles.
    Anyways thanks for the info.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just transfer 1 mile from your CO account to your UA account. It just takes a minute if you already have them linked.

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in the same boat: One Pass Plus card issued ~12 months ago, with annual fee coming due. I chose NOT to cancel the OOP and instead just applied for the Explorer card. Chase called and asked me to do some horse trading. I closed a different Chase account, leaving the OPP open. I suspect closing the OOP would have worked at least as well. And I got the 50k UA miles. (Yay!)

If you do close the OOP first, try to transfer its credit line onto a different Chase card. Gary Leff's blog talks about this sort of mess at length.

8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that is exactly what we did for my mom's CO card. She wasn't quite ready to apply for another Chase, so we transferred the available credit on her CO card to another Chase card before closing it a couple months ago. It was a super easy process and now she can get the United card at a later date. ;)

9. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to transfer my OP (4/2011) and they said no since it was less than one year. I decided to open another card and force a "No way, that's your third card (Explorer/Sapp) in 2012!" Application complete- submit.......Nooooo.....instant approval. GREAT, that makes 5 chase cards. I guess it's back to calling again and hope I find someone to waive the fee or move my CL.

10. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time is not on my side. Can only hope I get the CO card closed before it goes MileagePlus on me.
    Onepass stepped on my toes twice last year, so I say goodbye to them.
    I liked Continental Airlines, but not United.
    I haven't really enjoyed the merger process; so I've been playing elsewhere.
    If I can get the Explorer bonus, I might give new United a try.
    But Chase has got to give me a Sapphire Preferred, before I'd consider Explorer.
    One day at a time.;)