Continental miles posting to UAL?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EX-LAX, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    1st post so please be gentle!

I did not link my UAL Mileage Plus and Continental One Pass accounts because UAL (Mileage Plus service people) informed me that it was not necessary to have a One Pass number in my itinerary to receive credit to my Mileage Plus account for any future flights on either carrier. I took their word and being a 1K MM was UDU'ed on all 4 segments on Continental with only my UAL # in the record.

My questions are these --- It's been 36 hours and still no posting of miles to my Mileage Plus account from these 4 Continental flights.
    It's also my understanding that I WILL NOT receive credit towards my "Lifetime" miles (presently at approx 2,200,000 lifetime on UAL & zero on Continental) for any flights taken until after 1/1/2012 for my flights on Continental.

When should I expect to see these Continental miles posted to my UAL account, and will it possibly require a call to someone to get credit?

Thank you again for your help!

2. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd give it another day or two and see what happens. I've usually had a backlog of 5 days for certain flights.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA's site says not to call until after 48 hours, and if it's a codeshare partner I'd expect it to take longer. If you don't need the miles for something, then there's no reason to worry after 36 hours. Sometimes I still have past reservations still listed in my upcoming itineraries after 36 hours.

It's not necessary to have a OP number, but it gives you higher priority for upgrades and, like you pointed out, it allows you to get some lifetime status credit (hopefully) once the merger is complete.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't sweat it. Yet. Save your BPs as you might need them if something really went wrong but it is rare for a CO flight to have posted anywhere within 36 hours.
    I would not expect to ever see the lifetime credit from those flights based on your decision to credit to UA which does not provide such credit. A mistake, IMO, unless you really don't care about earning more lifetime miles for any flights between now and the end of the year on non-UA metal.

5. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My SO has 23k UA miles so far this year and will be flying CO EWR-LHR next week and back again a few days later. She has no OP EQMs but some RDMs or whaterver OP calls them. The outbound flight will tip her over to 2P and I'm keen that she gets the 25% bonus on RDMs from the return trip. She has another 25k miles planned for later this year, predominantly on UA but with some AC and one CO thrown in.

Should she credit to OP, or to MP, or does it make no difference?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It probably doesn't make a difference, but I'd credit them to CO for the lifetime credit. I'd also credit the AC flights to CO.

You can try calling and having the CO folks advance the status since the next flight taken will put her over the top. It is likely harder to do that with the split miles in two accounts thing but it is something that the OPSC has been willing to do in the past.