Continental Flight Crews still think they are Continental

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RJR@LAX, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    More and more, my regular flights to IAD, BWI and ORD are becoming Continental, not United flights. The Metal is Continental [737-800] and the crews still wear Continental uniforms. Moreover they think that they are different and their policies are still Continental.
    I usually fly 'A' fare and like to sit in the last row of the front cabin. The Continental crews ignore status and start at Row 1 taking orders and providing service. That makes me last and they have not the meal that I wanted several times. They made it clear to me that my Global Service Status would not get any special treatment from them. I asked for a meal from the rear cabin [something that I do regularly on UAL flights, and they told me that if they still had what I wanted I would have to pay for it. When I replied that I had always been able to substitute a meal from coach at no cost, I was told that it was not going to happen because Continental's policy did not allow it [even if United's did].
    The attitude of the Continental Flight Crews has been brusk, unfriendly, and bordering on rude in these encounters.
    Is anyone else experiencing this kind of treatment????:mad:

Renard, LIH Prem and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe given how management wouldn't want to have multiple policies plus I've flown via IAD a bit lately post-merger & haven't seen the such.

LIH Prem likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean to sound snarky or anything, but this is really what United overall is evolving into.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to break it to you, but:
    • Meal orders in the front cabin went to front-to-back over a year ago for both subsidiaries. This is standard operating procedure on sUA flights now, and has been for a long time.
    • Policies are generally aligned between the two subsidiaries now. From a policy standpoint, there is no difference. You may encounter employees on both sides who aren't up on their training, or just don't care, and still do things the old way (and I've seen this on both subsidiaries), but official policies are the same.
    • Uniforms are different between both sCO and sUA because those workforces haven't been fully merged yet, and new uniforms are being designed.
    • Free meals from Y haven't been available to F passengers without a charge in a very long time. You may have been lucky on sUA flights recently, but if you got one of those meals for free anytime in the last 9-12 months (I don't remember the exact date of the change), you were extremely lucky.
    As for "brusk, unfriendly, and bordering on rude," I've encountered that on both airlines plenty of times over the past 15 years. Both have great crewmembers, and both have crewmembers that need a serious attitude adjustment or a change of career. You're living in a dreamworld if you believe that one airline has a monopoly on either wonderful or awful flight attendants. They both have their fair share of both types.

Finally, do we really need another one of these threads?

CO777DAL, seaflyguy, rwoman and 11 others like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly GS are still supposed to be asked first. Even the rather mediocre sCO crew on EWR-HNL a couple weeks ago did that part.

Of course not, but that shouldn't stop anyone who doesn't know what the rules actually are from ranting about how they aren't being followed.

6. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    The IFE and headset packages still think they're Continental, too!

LIH Prem and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that. Good to know, and I stand corrected. It's quite possible I've not flown with any GS members on meal flights in recent months to see FAs going to someone outside row 1 for an order first. I've also had a lot of one choice meal flights lately too, since "Snack" is the new "Lunch" on quite a few of my regular flights.

:p

mht_flyer, LIH Prem and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had any bad experiences with legacy CO crews, but I can tell you on my flight from IAH-LAS last Saturday, the captain made a point to say the flight was operated by "Continental" in support of United and kept referring to it as a "Continental" flight thereafter. Mergers always are so "unifying" for everyone involved.:p

LIH Prem, hulagrrl210 and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any bad experiences with legacy sCO or sUA crews either but find it ironic that I get better treatment when I am not a paying customer.

LIH Prem likes this.
  10. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    photo.JPG

Recent flight KOA-LAX and all seem to being playing nicely together

rwoman, mht_flyer, LIH Prem and 9 others like this.
  11. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday flying home FRA-EWR, the captain announced at the end of the flight "I just want to thank you on behalf of my entire crew for flying Continental. Please don't hesitate to call Continental for your next flight and we'll be sure to hold a seat for you."

:D

CO777DAL, rwoman, LIH Prem and 4 others like this.
  12. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old habits are hard to break? Or sinister disinformation plot?

LIH Prem and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only been on one flight since the merger where meal choices were designated by status; otherwise all front-to-back or back-to-front.

My overall experience (YMMV) is that service is similar, if not slightly improved, since the merger.

Gtitan, LIH Prem and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or a lack of professionalism?

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely not with the most professional men and women in the industry at the former Continental? :p

goalie and LIH Prem like this.
  16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance it was a Newark-based crew?

goalie and LIH Prem like this.
  17. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had anymore sightings of sCO crews wearing ExCon "accessories" ?

LIH Prem likes this.
  18. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might as well add my data points:
    *In the last 12 months I have definitely gotten free snack boxes from Y. Last week in fact. Not arguing whether it is or isn't policy, just noting my experience.
    *sCO crew last week was very unpleasant. Not that I can note any one particular incident, but they were VERY slow on the uptake, and spent alot of time in the galley, and they were generally lazy. You may flame me, but I know lazy when I see it and I refuse to sugar coat it. (doesn't mean all UA or CO crews are, but this one was).
    * If you think that "in general" the overall deal is better, surely you were a CO elite. IMHO there is not a single thing that is "better" today than it was 6 months ago. Actually, I stand corrected. The planes are more recently painted and I think on balance cleaner inside. Everything else is a wash or a negative.

I'm very unemotional about it. It's just not as good as it was. The first class meal I had a couple days ago FLL-DEN was just laughable really. In fact let me see if I can dig up a pic...one sec...had to email it from my phone.
    [​IMG]

This my friends is a laughable first class meal on a 4:30 long flight. This is a taco bell burrito that is not fresh, 6 melon cubes and 2 grapes, and fairly tasty but high fat/sodium soup and an inedible roll.

19. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can't stop people from commenting on what they see every day by brow beating them or complaining about the content because a few people don't like it.

We need as many threads here as people want to create. This is milepoint after all. :)

People are entitled to post what they want here. Their point of view is just as valid as anybody elses around here.

I just wonder why you seem to take any criticism of United personally? Are you a "true believer"?

-David

canucklehead, JLSocks and Infinite1K like this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even in early to mid 2011, I'd hear PMNW crews use "Thanks for flying NW, um, I mean DL..." ;)

LETTERBOY and Gtitan like this.
  21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to agree. In fact a stop at Taco Bell on the way to the airport should trump this meal. :(

Jslo and JLSocks like this.
  22. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    RIP my beloved NW!

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    C'mon, all of us are seasoned travelers. I just don't buy any argument about people being surprised about the quality of in-flight food. Airline food has been the butt of late-night TV jokes for decades.

Anybody nowadays who posts about airline food being terrible is a waste of time. And as pointed out earlier, its perfectly fine to post whatever on MilePoint, but I think we're a little better than stooping to FlyerTalk level.

LETTERBOY, ssullivan and Gtitan like this.
  24. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had something similar last night throughout my flight...it definitely felt Continental.

25. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm not a "true believer." I'm a frequent customer who has had elite status on CO for over a decade (mostly as a Platinum) and on UA for over half a decade now (mostly as a 1K). I've flown both airlines a lot. I know both inside out. I don't think everything is perfect, and I have my gripes with the merged airline. However, the attitude that everything in the past at PMUA was wonderful and everything today is awful is just wrong, and revisionist history. And the same applies to PMCO.

My comment was simply that the forums are full of thread after thread of people complaining, threatening to leave, and whatever. Those are not helpful threads. Why start a new thread when there are others you can simply add to?

I also see the airline as a business that I have a business relationship with. I pay them to get me where I need to be for work every week, and to get where I want to be for personal trips and vacations. As long as they do that for me on clean aircraft, with generally friendly crews (which I get the vast majority of the time on both sCO and sUA flights), with on-time arrivals, in relative comfort, I'm happy. That's what I pay them to do, and that's what they promise me. I don't need my ego stroked every step along the way with exclusive boarding lanes that only passengers of my status can use. I don't need a phone number that only my status can use, but I do expect as a valued customer to get good service on the phone when I call, which isn't often - and I generally have no complaints about phone agents from either subsidiary. The relationship still works for me. If it didn't, I'd go elsewhere. Sure, in some ways I would have preferred that CO and UA remained separate. But they didn't. That means I can either live with it, and take the good with the bad, and stick around, or I can throw in the towel and go take my business elsewhere. And, if I decide to do that, I can either be mature about it and just walk away, or I can act like a two year-old and throw a tantrum. Obviously, some people here are putting way too much emotion into their relationship with the airline. I'm generally a calm, easy going, happy, low-drama guy. I don't have a lot of tolerance for those who are the opposite and feel the need to drag everyone else around them down in their personal misery. So, yes, I, and others, are a bit tired of thread after thread of complaints. We didn't join Milepoint, or Flyertalk before it, to listen to everyone b!+©# about how miserable they are. And, honestly, if I go back through the archives on Flyertalk in the old UA forum, I see just as much hatred and moaning five years ago about Tilton as I do today about Smisek.