Continental Flight Attendants Ratify Labor Pact

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rggale, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110225-714107.html?mod=WSJ_Airlines_middleHeadlines
    FINALLY!! Happier (not necessarily happy) flight attendants again[​IMG]

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess holding the profit sharing hostage worked, huh?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was ALWAYS only going to be a short-term deal until they merged and ratified a new contract, regardless of which union represents the combined staff going forward.

And I'm willing to bet that both unions will try to hold on to the representation. I'm not so sure that anything is final on that front yet.

4. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    They still have to determine what constitutes date of employment.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My expectation is that AFA will eventually win out. While CO flight attendants seem to value their work rules, this is an issue for the contract and not of representation. The consensus I get from CO is general indifference toward IAM, whereas UA flight attendants appear to be mostly pro-AFA.

IMO, the idea of a union comprised exclusively of flight attendants has merit, despite the muscle of a national powerhouse like the IAM. Overall, it seems to be an unnecessary layer of complication and division in this day and age. Delta seems to get along just fine with a nonunion F/A workgroup, even overcoming overtures from former NW crew and AFA to unionize...

6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not a rumor, it's math. Unless some UA FAs vote for IAM over AFA, AFA will be the joint carrier union. Regardless of which union represents the combined FAs, there will be a new joint contract.

The same is true of ground services.

The only work group where there will not be a union change (presumably) is among the pilots where both groups are ALPA. Even there though there will need to be a new contract to join the two groups.

7. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, but I hope they don't like pensions.