continental.com gift certifcate

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jpruzins, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    My boyfriend and I would like to travel to Denver in October for the Great American Beer Festival. I plan on using miles; he has a gift certificate to continental.com from my parents given to him Christmas of 2009. Important note, we're from NJ. In NJ, it is illegal for gift certificates to expire. So, dear boyfriend tries to buy a flight and his certificate has expired and he gets an error message. Is there anything we can do about this? I keep encouraging a call to customer service.

Thanks
    Jessica

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Continental was based in Texas and is now in Illinois my guess is that they are going to apply those states' laws to the gift certificates. If I buy something in NY and drive over to NJ that doesn't necessarily mean I can apply NJ rules to it.

Still, I'd say that making a call to customer service and politely reminding them that you were operating under the rules that apply locally and that they do have rather significant operations in NJ as well might get you a little bit of traction.

Good luck!

3. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've done some reading about unclaimed gift certificates. It seems like they go to the state as unclaimed funds and then it is up to the individual to claim them (not sure if its the issuer or the recipient.) Seems like a hassle - I'd think calling the airline would be easier.

4. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update - dear boyfriend called Continental again and the customer service rep stated that she couldnt do anything for him. She referred him to an online form or forum(?). Anyway, boyfriend wrote up his situation on the forum and since he mentioned some legalities on gift card law, they revoked the expiration and gave him a new $100 voucher.

Thank goodness! Yay Continental! For awhile he vowed never to fly CO again. This was only days after I received my CO one pass card and I'm waiting on 50k miles bonus. Phew. Crisis averted.